New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

the internet won't share

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seiferA

seiferA is on a distinguished road

hi! you see our friends across the street recently got wireless internet and since we only have dial-up they gave us their password so we could use theirs from time to time (arn't they nice? ^^) but see now here's the problem.
although i typed in the right password and have full bars it just isn't working. my computer says im connected but when i try to load anything it just dosn't go, it dosn't even move slowly then crap out like it's trying to load it just dosn't work like the connection dosn't exist! O.O

so does anyone know why?
QUOTE Thanks
seiferA

oh come on some one must know how to help me, please?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Firstly welcome to the Forum. When asking for help more info is always good - what OS are you on, as there are differences so it helps if we use suggestions that u can select. It is not that it wont share more likely you have not made the right selections. Are you both using the same ISP - you and your mate across the street?
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

If you recently were on dial-up then your internet connection is probably still setup that way. Go to your System Preferences and in the Network icon see if your location is setup to automatic and see if your AirPort has a green light. Also please let us know what computer and Mac OS you are using.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Like Collin asked, what version of OSX on your machine? What encryption is your neighbor using on their WiFi? WEP? WPA?
QUOTE Thanks
seiferA

YAYs nice people are helping ^^

ok lets see im using my mac 10. something or other, it hasn't had any internet access in about a year so it's probably missing some up dates
the dail-up is on another computer so the settings havn't been changed on my mac
the neighboughs encryption is WEP and their using windows 7
and my airport does have a green light

and i have no idea what an ISP is, sorry ^^'
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiferA View Post
ok lets see im using my mac 10.
In the top left corner you will see an Apple icon. Click on it and select "About this Mac". It will tell you exactly what version of Mac OS X you have. For example I have 10.6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiferA View Post
and i have no idea what an ISP is, sorry ^^'
ISP stands for Internet Service Provider such as Comcast, At&t, etc.

Are you sure you have full bars? Are you getting the bar information from the top right of the menu bar? How did you try to setup your connection?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is the WEP Key just a word (letters) or a Hex code like say 2CAB77C40A27AB7C. In other words groups of letters and numbers. That makes a difference also on how WEP is set up on OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
seiferA

ok lets see.....
i have a mac 10.5.7
the ISP is Bell
yes i am sure i have full bars
and yes the WEP is just a word
QUOTE Thanks
seiferA

so does anyone have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Not to be a killjoy, but every ISP in the US that I know of specifically disallows what your neighbour is doing (because it's illegal), and will ban them from the service if they discover it.

You may want to talk to your neighbour, advise them of the risks and proceed accordingly. Since highspeed is obviously available in your area, why not call your local television or telephone provider and ask them about a basic (sometimes called "slow-pitch" internet service? 10x faster than dialup for about the same price ($15-20/month).
QUOTE Thanks
seiferA

but im in canada?
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

You tell me. Are you?

Call your phone company or cable TV company. It doesn't matter if you live in Canada, unless north of the border, they send the Internet via carrier pigeon or something
QUOTE Thanks
seiferA

yes i do live in canada and i would just get high speed for myself the problem being im in the middle of nowhere and although i can get high speed the only ones avalible are with satilight and they cost like $100 a month and i can NOT afford that so using my neighbors is really my only solution here the problem being for some unknown reason it's not working no matter what i do! it says im connected but nothing works it's as if god is taunting me! it's maddening i tells you! MADDENING!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Get the neighbors DNS numbers for their ISP and add them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« slow internet | Slow Internet With Mac »