New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Upgraded Router - Problems! Why did I bother?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pag

Pag is on a distinguished road

We have had a Linksys router and extender for about 3 years running through the family PC in the study, with the wireless being used on my Dec 2008 iMac and March 2009 Macbook. The extender broke, so we purchased a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N modem router as the previous router was only g, not the latest n technology.

We set the router up, it works fine on the PC, but my Macbook and iMac cannot recognize the network when it is running at the n capability, so we had to downgrade it to run at g which seems like a waste of money!

Because of when I purchased my Macbook and iMac, I DO have the Airport update already and it says I can support an n router, yet in reality I can only run the router at the lower g option!

We have a 'tech guy' who is great, and he said the only way to support the n router was a physical upgrade of both my iMac and Macbook, but im lost!

Sorry for the essay, But I hope I havent wasted my money on this upgrade so really need some help, Ill give any extra details if required, to see if its possible for me to take advantage of the better wireless option.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Can you post the exact specs on both machines? If your dates are correct, both should do N. What physical upgrade is this person talking about?

I have had a lot of issues with many Netgear Wireless routers BTW.

Also, who is your ISP? I noticed you said it was a Modem/Router.
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

mtbinva will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

Funny you say that, my Neatgear dual band upgrade worked like a charm, much to my chagrin.
QUOTE Thanks
Pag

Thank you for your response.

The Macbook:

-MacBook5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo? And im currently not on my iMac, But that is again a Intel Core 2 Duo I believe and I used Network utility on both machines and I had the AirPort Extreme 802.11n capability, which is why this has thrown me!

-It was something of an impulse purchase, so maybe I should have taken more care in deciding which brand to go with!

-My ISP is AOL (I believe) provided by BT, this is in the UK?

Its just frustrating that ive upgraded the kit, my Macbook/iMac SHOULD be able to identify the network but cant, and I signed up here a while back but forgot my details and remembered how helpful the site was before!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbinva View Post
Funny you say that, my Neatgear dual band upgrade worked like a charm, much to my chagrin.
Not to get this too far off topic, the Netgear issues I have seen were lockups many times a week when it was hot in the summer, and just not very stable.

An example, my Linksys WRT54GL has been on for around 4 years now and never once locked. A friend and his Mom both have G Netgear and they are always having to reset.

For the OP, I did some checking and others seem to be able to connect their N Macs to that router with no issues.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag View Post
The Macbook:

-MacBook5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo? And im currently not on my iMac, But that is again a Intel Core 2 Duo I believe and I used Network utility on both machines and I had the AirPort Extreme 802.11n capability, which is why this has thrown me!

-It was something of an impulse purchase, so maybe I should have taken more care in deciding which brand to go with!

-My ISP is AOL (I believe) provided by BT, this is in the UK?

Its just frustrating that ive upgraded the kit, my Macbook/iMac SHOULD be able to identify the network but cant, and I signed up here a while back but forgot my details and remembered how helpful the site was before!
Your Macs should both support N.

Are you using Encryption and if so which? WEP? WPA? WPA2?
QUOTE Thanks
Pag

Yes we are, WPA Personal? I cannot think of why it is not working, The strange thing for me was the lack of identification of the network, It was not like I just couldnt connect to it, it was not visible!

-Thank You again.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

So if you click on the Airport icon in the bar up top, the SSID of the router does not even show up when set up for N?
QUOTE Thanks
Pag

From what I was told (He set it up with me) that was the case, so he said the best option was to downgrade the gear to a g setup, and it worked?

Hes calling me in the morning to recommend a wireless extender, Ill tell him that my system should be able to support the N setup and see what happens!

Ill post again my results, But thanks for letting me know that this should atleast work, ill be sure to update!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Thanks for the update and do keep us posted. I will check around and see if I can find anyone else with your issue and post back also.
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

Mac Specs: 15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.

Please keep us posted, because I have an issue that may be somewhat related. The question I have is, is your wifi a dual band? does it support both at the same time or does it only do one band at a time?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbinva View Post
Please keep us posted, because I have an issue that may be somewhat related. The question I have is, is your wifi a dual band? does it support both at the same time or does it only do one band at a time?
Interesting question. I seem to remember another here having an issue like that. Which worked for you? Both G & N or just N?
QUOTE Thanks
mtbinva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Interesting question. I seem to remember another here having an issue like that. Which worked for you? Both G & N or just N?

What ended up working was the dual broadcast, both, the 2.4 for everything (iPhone wife's laptop), and the 5 for the MBP. The question I have is, why are there two separate password accesses for the separate frequency accessing the same network?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook being funny... | Which program is using TCP port 9335? »