New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AirPort SEES the network, but refuses to touch it

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

So...I'm working remotely at a different office. When I search for networks via AirPort, our work network shows up. When I highlight it or otherwise try to connect to it, though, my MacBook pretends it doesn't exist...hard to explain, wish I could take video to show you exactly what happens. In other words, when I highlight our network, it tells me "No network selected."

We have several PCs here connecting wirelessly with no problem, though.

Thoughts??

(BTW -- I apologize if something similar was posted...I tried a search but couldn't find it...)
QUOTE Thanks
Carl H

Carl H is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my new (to me) MacBook. My wifi network appeared in the list, but it just wouldn't connect. The other laptops in the house could connect to it fine

My router was set to use channels B & G. I found on the net (can't find it now, sorry) that MacBooks don't cope very well with multichannel, and to set it to use one channel or the other. I did that, and it worked fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Carl H

Well, it worked fine for almost a week, and now the same problem has recurred. I've tried swapping the router from channel B to channel G, but to no avail.

On boot up, it says none of my preferred networks are available, and gives me a choice of available ones, which bizarrely includes my own network! On selecting it and entering the password, it immediately comes back with a timeout error.

This is very annoying!
QUOTE Thanks
Carl H

Last night I upgraded the firmware in my router, and the MacBook connected to it instantly. The router is a Netgear DG834G.

I will see how it goes over the weekend, and post my findings on here, on the off-chance that someone else finds it useful.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Try deleting the network from your list of preferred, then try re-joining.
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

I've noticed, that while channels 6 and 11 are recommended, by book only likes to connect on channel 11. That may be part of your issue, as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I am completely confused! | 100 Foot Cable from Router to Desktop ... ??? »