New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

DNS-323, Time Capsule, Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Backhertz

I had posted this in another thread, but figured I should let it stand on its own.

I purchased a DNS-323 with two WD 2TB hard drives which I formatted in EXT3 and have in a RAID 1 configuration. I have unsuccessfully tried for three days in getting my MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I've got the DNS-323 with firmware ver 1.08 hooked up to a ZyXel wireless router. I can see the NAS box, but Time Machine won't. I even signed up for premium membership when I didn't see an activation email today in my frustration....but it was in the Spam (doh!) folder. Two feet of snow, three days of trying older tutorials and I am relatively new to OS X. Has anyone successfully done this with my configuration above? The tutorials I see when I Google are dated 2008 & pre Snow Leopard. Thanks in advance. I was a PC hostage for many years until I broke free & finally bought a MAcBook. My Unix was fair at one time, but that was about 25 years ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Time Machine will not directly "see" a drive formatted in EXT3. It expects to the drive it will use to be HFS+ with journaling enabled. Although I haven't tried it there is apparently a way to make this work with network shares Time Machine with Network Attached Storage in 10.6 - MacTalk Forums. I haven't tested this personally so I can't guarantee how well it works.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Backhertz

Thanks Slydude,
I actually got it to work last night. But for some reason it was late & I ended up formatting my camera memory card which was plugged in & happened to be recognized by Time Machine. One this I had to do was reset the DNS-323 to factory default settings and then it would show up under "Shared" in Finder. I have the ability and the patience to keep at it. So Time Machine errored out when it tried to use only a 2 GB space. It was close to 2 A.M. & I was tired. Will try some more & again. I have a couple of tutorials posted in 2008 and one in 2009. I will look at the one you send. Thanx.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're welcome. Hope that helps a bit.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Backhertz

Slydude,
I have it working perfectly. But it is going into the small swap partition in the drive in the DNS-323 & leaving me only 500 or so MB of space. I do I get it to go to the #2 partition of my Volume in the NAS box which has all the space?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Interesting - so you have multiple volumes when configured in RAID1? If so, that's a trick I haven't managed to figure out yet. One of the only disappointments I've had with the DNS-323 is that it doesn't seem to be able to build multiple volumes (or shares) in RAID1.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Backhertz

I'm sorry. I reformatted into two single drives. SO I have 2 volumes. Volume 2 is the back up drive, but I only have 500 MB or so of space. I believe I am stuck in the swap partition or the other small partition. What I did was pulled a drive out & hooked it directly to my Mac via a USB setup I have. I saw 3 partitions. #1 was the swap partition for Linux. #2 was 1.98 TB. #3 was a 500 MB or so partition- I'm not sure what for as I'm not a Linux operator. My Time Machine backs up well until it gets to the 500 MB point & then it stops. I noticed an Error 45. I've seen that on other threads, but I don't know what it means. Anyone, anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Backhertz

I decided to go with a Synology DS-409+ and Time Machine works fine!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help -- Which Router ... ??? | Upnp Software for Mac OS 10.4 »