New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Verizon FiOS and Airport Extreme WIRELESS???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cutty2k

Cutty2k is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I've been scouring the internet looking for a solution, and while I've found several similar situations, I haven't found help for my exact problem, so posting time it is. Here is the situation:

I have just bought an Xbox 360, and I want to connect it to the internet. My Fios base station (9100EM) is located in my bedroom, on the other side of the house from the Xbox. Rather than buyinga $100 Xbox wireless receiver, I would like to set up my Airport Extreme as a network extender so that I can use a Cat5 with the Xbox, eliminating the need for the $100 piece of hardware.

So, basically, I want my setup to look like this:

1. Coax cable from outside house connected to Verizon router (9100EM)
2. Airport Extreme located in living room connected WIRELESSLY to the 9100EM (I cannot run wires all the way down the hall...)
3. Xbox 360 connected to AEX via LAN.

This seems like it should be easy, but I am finding no help. There are articles explaining how to set up an Express and Extreme (all apple products) which I don't have, and plenty of insructables on how to use a second router as a wired 'bridge', but nothing explaining how to do this wirelessly. I have read something about WDS, which the 9100EM does NOT support, to my knowledge. Can I do this thing I want to do? If not, is it possible to use a Netgear WRT whatever as a bridge to the FiOS router, THEN setup a wireless WDS network? I think I can get my hands on a netgear, if I have to....

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

There are a lot of folks here who far better at network questions than I, but since you haven't gotten an answer I'll try to help.

I believe you will need (I would borrow if possible to verify compatibility first) a router that supports WDS. Linksys WRT54G is one I know does, as does obviously Apple Extreme and Express. Wired bridge to the new router from your FIOS as you mentioned then setup the new router as the base and the Extreme as your remote. Below are some links that might help.

AirPort Utility 5.1 Help: Extending the range of your wireless network

Extend a Linksys WRT54G network via AirPort Express - Mac OS X Hints

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very frustrated with airport express need help! | Airport Extreme upgrade? »