New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

new macbook pro won't connect to netgear WNR1000 router!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rlm89

rlm89 is on a distinguished road

hi everyone,

i have a two month old macbook pro that has no problem connecting to any wireless network (at friends' houses, on my college campus, in coffee shops, airports, etc)...except for the one set up in my apartment. the wireless network shows up in the airport, thinks it's online, etc., but won't load a page on either safari or the other browser i have downloaded.

i've had two different comcast technicians over here...the second one was a self-proclaimed "mac person"...he said that he spends all day every day setting up routers for macs on my college campus and has no idea why mine won't connect. this is not the first time i've had problems with netgear routers on my mac. i have comcast (not by choice) and this has been a chronic problem in this apartment with this computer and in my old apartment with my old white ibook. i went for months without wireless in my old apartment using a netgear router until finally by some stroke of good luck it started working.

the router in question, specifically, is "NETGEAR Wireless-N 150 Router WNR1000". if anyone else has run into this problem, i would appreciate some insight. the whole hardwired thing is getting a bit old...i'm pining away for my wireless! please help me!

i will make note that while i am not completely hopeless and can navigate my way around a mac, i am by no means an expert, so you may have to break things down in laymen's terms for me. don't say i didn't warn you...
QUOTE Thanks
rlm89

rlm89 is on a distinguished road

anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What encryption are you using? WEP? WPA? Did you try it with no encryption?
QUOTE Thanks
chuckheid

chuckheid is on a distinguished road

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?? I just migrated to a newer MacBook Pro and got home and had the same wireless connection problem. AN yhelp appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

As dtravis7 said, what encryption are you using?

I sometime have the same problem. Although it might seem I am not connected to the internet, I am connected to the router. By that I mean that if I type in 192.168.0.1 (usual router address), it will take me to the routers homepage. If this happens to you, then it isnt your Mac. Can any other devices connect and successfully use the internet there?

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ULTRA slow internet on MBP since moving house | Time Capsule has lost my old backups! »