New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

need help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lwaltmon

lwaltmon is on a distinguished road

I just bought a g4 and was wondering how do i get internet on the ibook? I have bought an airport extreme card but dont know what else to do? do i need to buy a wireless service from a provider or can i somehow connect it with my pc at home? i am new to this and not sure what i need to get connected on my new laptop. any help would be awesome! thanks
laray
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Well, let's start at the beginning. Is the airport card installed in your iBook G4?

If it is, then you're basically ready to go. Read the system help files about "airport" to learn the step-by-step of turning the card on and finding a wifi network.

If you do not already have a wireless network set up at home, you will need to buy a wireless router. Despite the extra expense, I strongly recommend an Apple router -- they are just WAY friendlier, more reliable, work with PCs just fine, etc.

Using wifi outside your home will depend on whether the places you go have wifi or not. A lot of places do, but most of them are protected networks so you have to have their password to use their network. Some coffee shops and other such businesses offer free wifi, and its usually pretty easy to sign in and log on. Most of the businesses that offer this have a sign on their door mentioning it. You'll quickly develop a short list of favourite hangout spots that offer free wifi so you can just enjoy your iBook and have a drink or a meal.
QUOTE Thanks
lwaltmon

lwaltmon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help, yes i do have an airport card with the ibook. i dont have wireless in the house, i have dsl on our pc. so i need a wireless router and im good to go? sounds too easy, so i dont need a service provider i pay for monthly? thanks for the help!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule | Connection speed to wireless network and other issues »