New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

New MBP doesn't connect to internet!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marvolo

marvolo is on a distinguished road

Hi. I am a completely new Mac user (just bought a new MBP today-- OSX is 10.6) and I have absolutely no idea how to get the wifi going.

I chose the network I'm trying to connect to and put in the password. The signal is full (as it should be, I'm right next to the router!) but I can't connect to the internet. I looked through the network preferences and Airport says "No IP Address". No clue what's that about. Can anyone please lend a hand?

Some more info:

- Using DHCP and did try renewing the DHCP lease to no avail
- Router is a WRT54G

I'm not sure what else needs to be said, but if there's anymore info necessary let me know! I'm just getting extremely frustrated as it's been a few hours now that I've been trying to solve the problem.

Also, this isn't going to be a problem when I bring this to the uni campus will it?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

So you can get online with the WRT54G connected to the MBP with an ethernet lead.
Has anyone else been able to connect to the wireless network - have you been into the Admin page to set it up?

This is only showing signal strength;

Click for full size

Have you been into Sys Prefs > Network > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP to make sure Configure IPv4 is set to 'Using DHCP' and if you select header alongside TCP/IP namely; Airport - does that show the name of the wireless Network?
QUOTE Thanks
marvolo

You know I thought I had figured this out but it's f'd all over again.

My internet is fine. The other Windows computers in the house are connected (such as the one I'm using right now), it's just my Mac. Also, yes-- Airport is recognizing the wifi and the signal is full like in the picture, but it just doesn't connect to the internet. Thus the "No IP Address".

And yep, I've checked and double checked the settings on the Sys Prefs. Also restarted my router twice! I just don't understand what's causing this.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

If you connect to the router using a windows machine, can you see on the router that your Mac has a wireless connection with the router.
If you connect your Mac to the router using an Ethernet cable, does it work that way ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
marvolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
If you connect to the router using a windows machine, can you see on the router that your Mac has a wireless connection with the router.
If you connect your Mac to the router using an Ethernet cable, does it work that way ?

Cheers ... McBie

I tried connecting the Ethernet directly to the Mac, but it comes out the same. It's either "No IP Address" or "Self-Assigned IP". Which drives me nuts because when I put the ethernet cable back into one of my Windows pc's it works fine.

Also, no my Mac isn't showing up on the active client list.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough

If u go into to the Admin page of the Linksys - is this radio button checked?;

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I was going to ask what encryption you are using on your WRT54G Wireless but since even Wired does not get you an IP, it's probably something else. With some (especially newer) WRT54G's I have had issues with WPA encryption using AES. If I switched the router to TKIP, all worked fine.

If the Linksys is set to DHCP, the Mac plugged in should get an IP address almost instantly.
QUOTE Thanks
marvolo

Collin_Bl: Yep, I made sure that was checked.

dtravis7: I did end up eventually getting an IP when I connected the ethernet directly, however then the problem became about "Network Settings".

I am at back at uni now and I have no problem connecting to the internet. So it looks like it's only in my parents' home that is having trouble. I just don't understand it.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Quote:
The other Windows computers in the house are connected
Who did the initial set up of the Linksys - you? If it was someone else they may have enabled Access Control;

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks
marvolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Who did the initial set up of the Linksys - you? If it was someone else they may have enabled Access Control;

Click for full size
I did set up Linksys-- I hope that's not not why I'm having trouble connecting, haha!

I'm not sure where to get the Access Control... is that the same as MAC Filter? Because I have disabled that.

I'm also back at my parents' now, have reset the router again and still no luck.

Screenshot of the basic setup page:
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

My AG310 has UPnP under Admin>Management - have a hunt for yours and make sure it is enabled. If that makes not difference then with both Wireless and Ethernet giving you trouble time to go thru all the settings in Sys Prefs > Network > Airport and/or Ethernet to try and find the common factor.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with AirPort on iMac - not working for 15 minutes a day! | Unusual airport problem »