New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Having trouble connecting my new LB Blueray player to internet via Airport Express

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kodlum

kodlum is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I am trying to connect my new LG blueray player to my wireless network with an Airport express and am having some trouble. Here's the layout...

I have a FiOS router connected to my time capsule which is then connected wirelessly to the airport express. I had this particular airport express connected to my printer for wireless printing (no issues for 2 years), but decided to use the airport express for the blueray player interface with Netflix instead. The blueray player only has an ethernet port, so i'm using an ethernet cable to connect it to the Airport express. When i turn on the blueray player and attempt to connect to the internet, i get an error message saying "no ethernet cable detected." I'm not sure where to go from here...any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
njharrison1979

njharrison1979 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8

im having the exact same problem, I have the express setup for air tunes which works fine over the existing wireless network. But we bought a new panasonic tv and blu ray player and I had the same thinking as you to connect it through the ethernet on the airport express but cant get the settings right.

Had any luck yet?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Thanks to jeltekalkman - go into Airport Utility and look for a check box called "Allow ethernet clients".

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
njharrison1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Thanks to jeltekalkman - go into Airport Utility and look for a check box called "Allow ethernet clients".
I also found out if you have an older version of the express it is only compatable with a mac router but the newer version will allow you to switch on the eternet port.

(Quoting)
On your version of the AirPort Express, you must have another Apple router creating the main wireless network for the ethernet port to be enabled. Unfortunately, the ethernet port on your version cannot be enabled when used with routers from other manufacturers.

The newer version of the AirPort Express does allow this type of connection to virtually any other wireless network.

My opinion here...the cost of new AirPort Express "n" version and the cost of a pair of ethernet powerline adapters would be about the same. The adapters would provide a faster and more reliable connection than wireless.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Thanks for reporting back.

QUOTE Thanks
njharrison1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Thanks for reporting back.
I asked this question here ages ago but no one seemed to no the answer.

Its frustrating mac didnt make the older versions more universal
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

The developers at that time probably didn't even consider that there would be a call for a device that's being used as a wireless extender to have the ethernet ports enabled simultaneously. Or the technology to do it, would have raised the price higher than they wanted vs the numbers that they deemed would need the functionality. Who knows...

This has been and will continue to be the way of technology for a long time to come yet. There will always be some hardware and/or software feature or function on the next one, not available on the last (not necessarily for the better).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting a computer/product to the ethernet on the airport express base station | Connection Issues »