New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time capsule to bounce wifi?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jamesbtp

Jamesbtp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb

Hi, I hope someone can help here.

I have a modem/router netopia 2247nwg sending wifi around the house.
What I would like to do is have my time capsule in a different room, pick up the wifi and then send it back out through the capsule's ethernet. Is this possible? I have looked through old posts and can't seem to find the answer.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I have not done it this way. I actually run a 100' cable to my TC from my primary router so that I still have gigabit speeds capability back to the server when I need it. Also gives me a 'g' network at the router for my iPhones/PS3/Etc and a 'n' network on the TC for my Macs. My TC is the first gen, so I can't broadcast separate 'g' and 'n' networks as the new ones are able.

But, yes you should be able to. When you set up the TC, under the 'Wireless Mode', there should be a setting to 'Extend a wireless network' and the 'Connect Using:' setting for a 'Wireless Network'.

Here is an image I found of the settings.

While I think this would enable the ethernet ports also, I have not seen specific answers back as to whether the TC will do it or not. Once you get the wi-fi extended, please post back and let us know.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb

Ok I've got this far but when I go to the wireless tab and select the network I want, it says "the network you selected cannot be extended". why is this? can it be changed?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have read a couple of places where the manual setup did not not work, but had success using the 'Assist Me' feature with that message.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Bob and I have nearly identical setups with the exception of mine using a Time Capsule. I think I got the same message while tinkering with the setup. One thing occurs to me: Do you have MAC filtering turned on at the Netopia router? If so you may need to enter the Time Capsule's MAC ID numbers in the appropriate place on the Netopia.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

There is likely a setting on the Netopia router that will "allow" the network to be extended. This keeps people from latching on to your network with their own routers.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

well there is a section "limit wireless access by MAC address", but this is disabled.
I cant see anything else with MAC filtering.

There is a section in the configuration, Bridging-disabled. and concurrent bridging/routing- disabled. Does this have something to do with it?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I checked the manual -- which is about as clear as a bucket of swamp water. I think enabling the concurrent bridging/routing option will take care of your problem.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
jeltekalkman

jeltekalkman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Hi Jamesbtp,

It's a common problem actually, the problem is most of the time the other (wifi)router,
However what you need to do, is instead of expanding the wireless network with your Time Capsule, is to choose "Connect to wireless network"
No extending or anything,
this should do the trick right away.

Hope it helps for you!

Cheers

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
valorumguygee

valorumguygee is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue, I'm trying to use a time capsule I bought to extend the range of one network, or pickup the signal from one wireless network and rebroadcast it out as a new network. However I can only do it through ethernet which does not work for my setup. whenever I try and tell it to pickup the other network wirelessly, it tries to update the settings but then the restart fails and it doesnt update properly. I then have to manually restart and rescan until I can see it again then try something else.. nothing works except ethernet.. anyone have an idea for me?

-V
QUOTE Thanks
jeltekalkman

jeltekalkman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black

try to set the AEBS or TC to [Connect to wireless Network]
and set connection to bridge-mode
this way it will not give any IP addresses, but the "main" Router will do that.

Hope this helps you all out!

you can find bridge mode under:

Manual settings - Internet - Connection (the dropbox on the bottom)

Cheers!

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

[QUOTE]Hi Jamesbtp,

It's a common problem actually, the problem is most of the time the other (wifi)router,
However what you need to do, is instead of expanding the wireless network with your Time Capsule, is to choose "Connect to wireless network"
No extending or anything,
this should do the trick right away.

Hope it helps for you!

Cheers/QUOTE]

This makes sense but the option isn't there.
Only- extend a wireless network (which it won't allow)
- Participate in WDS network
- create a wireless network.
or Off.

[QUOTE]I checked the manual -- which is about as clear as a bucket of swamp water. I think enabling the concurrent bridging/routing option will take care of your problem./QUOTE]

I also tried this but no joy.

I really appreciate the help guys, but still stuck.
I could be doing it wrong, but tried each a couple of times.

james
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

1. Startup Airport Utility - click Continue - Name your TC

2. Select what you want to do with TC... I want TC to join my current network... Continue

3. Next screen... I want TC to wirelessly join my current network .... Continue

4. Choose your existing wireless network in the top drop down box
Select the wireless security type in the next drop down box
Enter your network password in the next 2 boxes
Continue

5. Select "Not Now" to the Time Machine question
Continue

6. click on Update

7. You'll get a message saying it will be temporarily unavailable - click Continue

8. You should get a Successful message and a Time Machine window popup

(edit: bad news is that the ethernet ports apparently do not function if the TC is connecting via wireless rather than by ethernet to your existing network. At least, I was unable to get it to work with in 15 minutes, on a windows rig or on my Mac.)

QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

thanks again bobtomay, I just did exactly as you said and setup was fine.

You are right though it won't send it out the ethernet ports, which is what I really need.

Maybe it can't be done?

Again folks thanks for all the help.

James
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If you own your home, it's worth the time and effort to run a cable in the attic. Took me maybe a week's worth of research, 4-5 hours labor and about $100 to run 100' line across the house. That was dropping the cable down inside the walls at both locations with RJ45 wall jacks.

Did that a few years back and it's paying dividends now. Last year added a HTPC in the Family room and a server back in the main office, so I'm getting gigabit speeds between my HTPC and the server. Comes in real handy when you get ready to start moving 7-25 GB files around.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Blocking specific websites | New AirPort Extreme - having a horrible day! »