New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Slow internet, switch comcast box for airport express?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kdawnz

kdawnz is on a distinguished road

Hi all...
I am having some major internet issues at my house, and am considering switching my wifi to run through airport express. I'm a bit of a neophyte though, and am not sure how/if I can do this the way I'm thinking I can.

I have comcast internet right now that is connected to a box to transmit wifi to my house. My internet has been heinously slow since I bought an imac and loaded snow leopard onto my macbook. I've ruled out computer issues by bringing my macbook to work and using that wifi, whcih promptly brought it back up to normal speed.

I would like to get rid of the comcast box all together, and just connect directly to the airport express. will this work? i think it may be a good idea because we'll have 4 or 5 computers working in the same house. i was also hoping this would solve our speed problem and save me the trouble of waiting around all day for comcast to show up (they want me to be ready for them from 6AM-6PM!). of course if the speed was still slow, i would call them. also, could i get in trouble from comcast for switching boxes?

and lastly, I live in a house that's been split into a duplex. All the computers in my house are macs, but I don't know what the upstairs tenent will be running. will it be a hassle/more challenging for the upstairs neighbor to use the airport express rather than the comcast box if she has a PC?
sorry, i realise these are totally duh questions. thanks!

PS. Is this a totally dumb/waste of money sort of idea?
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

Try connecting your Mac via ethernet to your Comcast router if possible. If speeds are still slow then its your ISP.

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VPN to PC | 'Broken Pipe' wireless printing issue solved »