New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Mac & PC networking very flakey

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

doolally

doolally is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac & MacBook

I've used PC's for years and networked them with no problem. Decided to "go Mac" at Christmas as I'm a keen photographer and liked the imaging sofware etc. So I now have an iMac and MacBook and love 'em! But trying to get all PC's (where a lot of my images are kept) Mac's to see/speak to each other - not a chance!

I have:
desktop PC running Win 7
laptop running Win 7
iMac running Snow Leopard
MacBook running Snow Leopard

All are connected wirelessly to router except the Desktop PC which is ethernet. PC's are visible to each other and macs are visible to each other and resources/files can be shared easily but cannot get the Mac's to see PC's and vice versa so can't share files. The strange thing is that all can be pinged to each other (Mac to PC etc) but I cannot get Mac's to show PC's and PC's to show Mac's on their respective network screens.

I have been all round the houses reading forums and fixes but nothing seems to work so any glimmer of help would be hugely appreciated.

doolally
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

9 times out of 10, these kinds of issues are related to security software on the Windows machines. Are you running anything like Norton Internet Security or something of its ilk? If so, you're probably going to need to tweak settings in that package. The best way to start would be to disable it entirely and see if you can get it working that way.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

Try this

How to Enable File Sharing on a Mac | The Techy Guy

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
doolally

doolally is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac & MacBook

Thanks for that folks. It works after a fashion but only if I use the smb cmd and, of course, this allows the Mac to "see" the PC but not the other way round. The PC appears as an address in Finder and not the actual name of the PC. I also have to use the smb cmd every time after a shut down as the PC address changes according to what machines on the network are on etc. That's what I mean by "flakey". I keep reading that networking a Mac is easy and it does it automatically but it appears there are severe limitations to that!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hooking Up Linksys WRT54G | 2 macs sharing external hard drives »