New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport express now invisible to my Macbook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Malisa80

Malisa80 is on a distinguished road

I'm using a Airport Express to have Wifi internet in my appartment. There are my Macbook and my boyfriend's PC connected to that network. Everything was working fine until one week ago.

Suddenly, my Macbook was not able to find out our network (secured with WPA password) anymore. But, the PC can find it ok and my MacBook can see all the other networks of the neighborhood! The Macbook was not able to find the airport express as well with the airport utility. So after few times of re-starting my airport and my computer, i decided to reset the settings of the airport express...Well, worked ok for the day since i kept my computer on. But i went back to work with it at my office, and when came back home, same problem again. Network invisible with my airport and Airport express invisible to my airport utility....and now, even after few reset of the airport base, nothing is working. It's been a few days like that now....Still trying to unplugged the airport base, turn off my airport, re-start my computer, etc....nothing! But the PC still working fine!
Now the new thing is that i can sometimes see the airport express on the airport utility of my Macbook but can never access it, it loses the connection when i want to enter it.

What's happening??? Did someone have the same kind of problems before? How could i try to solve it? (don't want to have to buy a new wifi base station!).

Another point maybe important: i have Parallels installed on my computer, i thought maybe its internet adapters could have ****** up my airport connection...but i turned them off and nothing better happened...

Thanks a loooooooooooooot for your help!!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Welcome to the Forum. Macs always strive for a quality connection and i am reasonably sure the Machine Address Code is locked into address details for the Network, so if you have 2 Networks in your MacBook Network Prefs for the same Airport then if it locks onto the MAC of the old Network u wont get on.
Now it will be a good plan to go into Sys Prefs > Network > to saved Networks and this varies a bit depending on which OS u are on - always good to post that info when looking for help as more details can be given - and remove previous Networks from your MacBook.
When in your position it is probably better to use a ethernet lead to connect to your Airport Express directly to your MacBook and then run Airport Utility and do the set up again. Be a little patient as it will take a few moments for it to show in the AU. By starting over having got rid of all old Networks there will be less potential for hang ups but the cost is having to rejoin with PCs and others.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

You could try installing these updates:

Apple - Downloads - Firmware & Hardware - AirPort Client Update 2009-002

Apple - Downloads - Firmware & Hardware - Time Capsule and AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.4.2
QUOTE Thanks
Malisa80

Thanks for the advices....
It's ok, i found the preferred networks and deleted them (Mac OS 10.5.8 - Leopard). I just have to wait for coming back home to try again...will see, hope it will help!
I did already all the updates i could...didnt change anything...
let's hope, today is a good day for my airport!
QUOTE Thanks
Malisa80

Still not working....got some progress though: can see the airport express and the network. But it's still giving me an error message when i try to connect with it...writing now from the PC...aaaaargh, someone has another idea of where this could come from?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The specific error message would go a long way toward possibly helping.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Malisa80

ok, ok...but since it's in french it's not gonna help you much, unless i try to translate it for you! well, it says something like : ''an error occured when trying to connect to the device''. This happens when Im on airport utility trying to enter my airport express.
And when i can see the network on my airport and i try to connect to it, then it says: 'connection failed'.
That's it! So, any idea?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malisa80 View Post
This happens when Im on airport utility trying to enter my airport express.
But is this with it connected by ethernet lead?

If so, then the best choice may be to do a Factory reset on the Express and then set it up again. Unless you can identify a conflict, then the reset could well be quickest way to allow u to move on.
QUOTE Thanks
mr_tob

mr_tob is on a distinguished road

Did you get the problem solved?

I'm experiencing the exact same issue and after reading tons of forums I still don't find the solution no where.

Just spoke to Apple Hotline that couldn't help me but would admit that the Airport was no longer working...

I have done all possible solutions and still it doesn't work.

It can't really be true that I have to go buy another one - especially as it's working sometimes (i.e. my Iphone will always find the connection where as my two macbooks don't!!!).

Anyone help please...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme with USB Drive and TimeMachine | Automatic Mapping of Home Directory »