New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time machine solely as external wireless drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Flints2001

Flints2001 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook V10.5.8 2.2G intel Core 2 Dou

Hi all,
So here is my story. I live in a small apartment building that is set up with a linksys wireless router. That router is NOT in my apartment. I would like to be able to use my TC as just an external drive. I have a wired external drive now, but it become a pain in the a** plugging everything in when I want to move around music or pictures to an iphone/ipod. For now, I would like to set the TC up so I can access my music/photos/movies without having to plug the external drive in and out (of both the wall and computer).
If anyone could walk me through setting up the TC as a wireless drive only (for now). That would be great. I have tried with apple, but they want nothing to do with it.
I understand that I won't be able to hook up the net and the time capsule at the same time. That is okay, I just want to be able to get onto the TC wirelessly.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

You need to edit your title ... Time Machine is OS X backing up app and i believe you mean Time Capsule ??
You might get a better response

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Hook it up like you normally would except you just won't be plugging in a modem. You should still be able to access it via Airport. If you want to go on the Internet you would switch to the Linksys router and if you want to access your Time Capsule just switch to that.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Flints2001

Flints2001 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook V10.5.8 2.2G intel Core 2 Dou

Thanks for the heads up on the title, tattooedmac.

Kash: If I just go through the set-up process and just opt not to 'set up a network' with the TC still be recognized by my computer?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 & G5 networking... | Help PLease »