New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

SMS from MacBook Pro w/iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

taylordobbs

taylordobbs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro 13" (2009) 4 GB RAM

Hey all,

I'm trying to do what I thought would be very simple but is proving difficult. I'm hoping to be able to run my SMS conversations that I'm having on my iPhone from my MacBook Pro. I don't care if it's bluetooth or USB, but it'd be SO nice to be able to use my full-sized keyboard for texting.

I'm sure it's been figured out, but I haven't been able to find it. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

This is not the first time a question such as yours has been asked and as far as I know the answer is still.......nope.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
taylordobbs

Alright. I really don't see why they took it out of the address book. Bummer. Thanks for the answer though.
QUOTE Thanks
Janus 006

Janus 006 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB

Here's a workaround. You can enter phone numbers for your contacts in gmail. Then you can switch from chat mode to sms mode. Whoever you are talking will receive texts. Note, however, that this will not register on your phone in anyway. It'll simply appear in your gmail chat history.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus 006 View Post
Here's a workaround. You can enter phone numbers for your contacts in gmail. Then you can switch from chat mode to sms mode. Whoever you are talking will receive texts. Note, however, that this will not register on your phone in anyway. It'll simply appear in your gmail chat history.

Very nice ! that will get you some rep !

QUOTE Thanks
taylordobbs

Oh that sounds like a good enough workaround for me. I can't seem to find the option where I go into SMS mode though. Where would that be?

Also, when someone receives one of these messages, does the "from" number show up as my cell? Not sure how that'd work, but...

Silly apple should just allow Google Voice.
QUOTE Thanks
Gary86

Gary86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2010 13" MBP; Late 2010 13" MBA

off the topic but, If i have a gmail account which it was i use for my iphone can i get them into the address book on my macbook pro?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

yep open gmail in your web browser and go to contacts / export/ do this as a vcard for apple and hit ok

QUOTE Thanks
Gary86

"vcard?" sorry new to apple comps
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

it will be your last option on the list after you select export

QUOTE Thanks
Gary86

oh ok cool man, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

glad to help

QUOTE Thanks
Janus 006

Janus 006 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
Very nice ! that will get you some rep !
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylordobbs View Post
Oh that sounds like a good enough workaround for me. I can't seem to find the option where I go into SMS mode though. Where would that be?

Also, when someone receives one of these messages, does the "from" number show up as my cell? Not sure how that'd work, but...

Silly apple should just allow Google Voice.
Find the person you want to chat with in your sidebar. You may have to enable "All Contacts" to see the person if they are not in your "Most Popular" list. Click on their name. In the chat box, click the "Video and More" option and select "Send SMS." If the number is already listed for the contact, you're good to go (the chat box will tell you that you are in SMS mode and gives you the option to switch back at any time). If the number isn't already listed, you'll be prompted for it.

The SMS message on their end will probably have some weird phone number with your e-mail address listed as well. You may want to warn people that you will be doing this.
QUOTE Thanks
taylordobbs

Thanks for the help. Let's hope a real fix comes our way sometime soon. Maybe the iPad keyboard? heh, that'd look pretty goofy.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylordobbs View Post
Thanks for the help. Let's hope a real fix comes our way sometime soon. Maybe the iPad keyboard? heh, that'd look pretty goofy.

Just curious what more of a fix do you need ? You are doing what you wanted right ? texting from your Mac....

Clay

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini wireless range | How to set up airport for over internet access »