New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wifi connection email question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Josh Bear

Josh Bear is on a distinguished road

Dear All,

I would welcome any help. I will try and be as clear as possible and I hope I posted on the right board.

1. I connect my macbook air to email via wifi at home.
2. When I do this I can send and receive emails using the mac email program
3. I can also connect to the internet as well.

Now the problem

1. When I am in a hotel say and connecting to the internet using a wifi hotspot:-
2. I can surf the internet with no issues
3. But cannot seem to send or receive any emails.

I also have a similar problem with my iphone except even at home I can't send any emails when wifi is on but it receives with no issues. Again, using a wifi hotspot I have the same issue. Turning off wifi and switching to 3g or edge I can receive and send emails.

Any ideas?

thanks

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Roaming can be a bit tricky as some outfits with WiFi tend to close posts for various reasons. If your email is set up thru port 25 then that may be closed off to try and reduce spam at Hotspot. Try port 587. You may find the Air works more reliably if you set up a Location for home and leave Automatic for hotspots
QUOTE Thanks
Josh Bear

Josh Bear is on a distinguished road

Hi

thanks for the tips. Where will I find the ports set up?

Best regards

Josh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ethernet connection and boot issues | AFP + 802.11g = slow? »