New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

WiFi issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ltr450rule

ltr450rule is on a distinguished road

Hello I am currentley deployed to Iraq right now and just joined and you guys are very helpful. I have a black macbook (about a year and a half old) and Im having some troubles connecting to the internet. The internet here is run by a username and password. You pay month by month. I used it the first month and worked great and now I purchased anouther month and have a new USERNAME and PASSWORD and my old username and password are trying to be used. Every few minutes a 802.1x Authentication will pop up and have my OLD username and passwod in so i delete and put my new in but when it pops up 3 min. later it starts all over again. I have not used my mac much and not real sure how to run it any help would be appricated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First... Stay safe over there.

You're probably going to have to completely remove the old information that's stored about your network username and password. That info is stored in several places. Follow along below:

1. Navigate to /Volumes/MacIntosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

and move "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" to your desktop.

2. Open Applications, Utilities, Keychain Access.app. Look for your old Airport password. Delete it. (you first must click on the lock at the top)

3. Open System Preferences, Network. Delete your old location(s) and create a new one for "automatic" with your current information (userid and password)

You should be back in business.

Kind of a convoluted way to get things up and running again. But what I detailed above for you is actually the way Apple recommends doing it. There are other ways you can try by creating a new location each month you receive a new userid and password, but that can get you into difficulty.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ltr450rule

thanks man i got all that complied with right when i reboot the computer 802.1X authenticitation comes up and has my old username still in the block but i can erase it but everytime it comes up with the OLD one in there...I can get two green lights ( airport and airpot settings) and sometimes network settings is yellow otherwise all otheres are red) in the network config. this seems to be really ****ed up
QUOTE Thanks
ltr450rule

Still having issues connecting...I have done everything as far as I can and know hot to do...repeated those steps once aging and nothing. This is where macs fustrate me while i sit here on my $350 HP to try and figure out my mac, dont get me wrong love it when it works
QUOTE Thanks
ltr450rule

"verify ertificate"
802.1x Authentication
"the server certificate is not trusted because there are no explicit trust settings"

option: Show certificate, Cancel, or contine.

What exactley is this message telling me. I get it when i type in my New username/password
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I found this if it helps: Properly respond to the "Verify Certificate" Dialog. In that dialog you choose "Show Certificate" and then click the "Always trust these certificates" check box. You then end up with a copy of the authentication server's certificate in your login keychain with both "Extensible Authentication (EAP)" and "X.509 Basic Policy" set to "Always Trust"
QUOTE Thanks
ltr450rule

Thanks but i have tried that
QUOTE Thanks
ltr450rule

IS there any way to reset my mac back to an eairler date
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr450rule View Post
IS there any way to reset my mac back to an eairler date
If you've been using Time Machine for backups, yes.

Also, did you try resetting your router back to its factory default? (You didn't mention you were using a router in your first post) The instructions I gave you should have worked. Try resetting the router.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ltr450rule

This is a wifi like you would use at a hotel. We do not use routers we just pay month by month then they give out username and passwords. I know the network is up scesne I am on my HP typing this right now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Time Machine use a networked drive? | Router connection problems »