New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Problems.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joshhtorg

joshhtorg is on a distinguished road

Got an issue with my 15" macbook pro with the wireless network set up in my dorm. If I move anywhere within three feet of the airport express my internet connection goes goofy. It will work for 5 minutes and then it poops out and stops working. It continues to fade in and out. While my roommate with a 13" macbook can access the internet anywhere and it works just fine.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Try setting a Location for the dorm here and then find the DNS numbers for that ISP and add them see here - then report back if that does not sort it.
QUOTE Thanks
joshhtorg

So far setting the location is working. Thanks much. I'll respond back if I have any other problems.
QUOTE Thanks
tono_vargas

tono_vargas is on a distinguished road

hi, I have a similar problem I have a macbook pro 13" and a macbook 13" until two days ago i was able to go online with my Airport Express on both of them. Two nights ago I was online and my macbook all of a sudden just stopped recognizing the AE at first i thought it was the internet so i did a soft and a hard reset of the AE, disconnected the cable for 10 minutes and turn off the airport on my macbookpro but still doesn't work.

Its strange cause on my macbook I can still see the apple network from the AE and go online on, but on the macbookpro I can only see other protected networks from my neighbors but not the apple network and the airport on my mac shows an exclamation mark on top of the aiport icon.

Any ideas anyone?

thanks for the input
QUOTE Thanks
joshhtorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Try setting a Location for the dorm here and then find the DNS numbers for that ISP and add them see here - then report back if that does not sort it.
Well the first solution worked for about two weeks and now it's acting funky again. So I am working on the second solution, but where do I find the DNS numbers for the ISP? I found where to add them, but not where I can find what numbers I need to add. Thanks for the help again.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough

Generally your ISP will have a page on line showing settings and in there should be the IP numbers for Primary and Secondary DNS settings.
QUOTE Thanks
joshhtorg

Alright, well the numbers are already there in the DNS box. It comes up with two numbers and a search domain in the box to the right of that. But I cannot edit either. I think this is because I am in the dorms and I am making a wireless network with AE from their wired cable internet connection... Any more ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Floreta

Floreta is on a distinguished road

hi. i have a problem to set up my new printer HP officejet 7000 wirelessly through my airport express. the first few seconds after having plugged in the airport and the usb cable into the airport from my printer, my macbookpro recognizes the printer as a bonjour connection, but after approx.. 10 seconds, it disappears from the "add printer" list. printing works fine with a direct usb connection from my computer to the printer. i have also reset my airport to factory settings, but that has not changed anything either.
does anybody have the same problems? and does anybody know how to solve them? THanks
QUOTE Thanks
joshhtorg

That doesn't relate to this thread, put your problem in your own thread.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshhtorg View Post
That doesn't relate to this thread, put your problem in your own thread.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Going right back to the start - both your roommate and u were using the same wireless network from the Airport Express - right?
Is the A. Express set to bridge mode?
QUOTE Thanks
joshhtorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Going right back to the start - both your roommate and u were using the same wireless network from the Airport Express - right?
Is the A. Express set to bridge mode?
Under the manual set up in Airport Utility it says under connection sharing that it is "Off (Bridge Mode)."

Is that supposed to be something different? My options are, "Share a public IP address," or "Distribute a range of IP addresses."

I'm a noob to this stuff but could it be the radio mode that it's on is too new of a technology (the "n" radio mode) for my four year old mac? Just throwing ideas out there.
QUOTE Thanks
joshhtorg

And yes, we are both using the same network.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBookPro1,1 wireless not working--options? | Wireless to my TV »