New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wifi for G3 powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tamtrible

tamtrible is on a distinguished road

My "new" lappybrick is an Apple Mac G3 Powerbook Wallstreet 2 with the 8.6 OS (yes, it's a dinosaur, I got it cheap on ebay). If I get one of those Airport cards, will it work to give me the capability to get on the internet at school? If not, what would? I can probably upgrade to a slightly later iteration of the OS if necessary. Also, I've bought a USB card, so I can use something external too.

Also, if the Airport will do what I want, any installation directions out there?

(cheap solutions greatly preferred, I wouldn't have bought the lappybrick if I was interested in spending a great deal of money on a laptop--but I have a hardware-capable friend who can probably install the card if he has directions)
QUOTE Thanks
tamtrible

tamtrible is on a distinguished road

There doesn't appear to be a way to edit posts...
I don't have firewire, so it looks like the internal Airport card is out. Anyone know of another solution that will work on an iteration of the OS early enough to cram onto my poor beast? My friend thinks I might be able to go as late as 9.2 without overstraining the poor thing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« issues connecting to internet | How To: Removing unwanted users from my network? »