Thread: Wifi Dilema

Specs:
    1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
    Wifi Dilema
    Ok, I have a home wireless network that is transmitted at "g." I have a new 17" PB with Airport Express installed. We also recently got a used 15" PB at 500 Mhz. The 15" does not currently have airport installed. Here's my dilema:

Should I get the original airport card that only transmits at "b," and if I do get that, can I install it myself, and do I need a special adapter or something?

or

Should I just get an external "g" card that plugs into the PC slot? If I go with that, are they all compatible with mac? What would be a good, cheap, and mac compatible "g" card?

Thanks!

Specs:
    20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2sensen
    Ok, I have a home wireless network that is transmitted at "g." I have a new 17" PB with Airport Express installed. We also recently got a used 15" PB at 500 Mhz. The 15" does not currently have airport installed. Here's my dilema:

Should I get the original airport card that only transmits at "b," and if I do get that, can I install it myself, and do I need a special adapter or something?

or

Should I just get an external "g" card that plugs into the PC slot? If I go with that, are they all compatible with mac? What would be a good, cheap, and mac compatible "g" card?

Thanks!
    I suppose it would depend on what type of info you are transferring on the network and how frequently you do so. I personally don't use my home network for much more than iTunes library sharing, and sending word docs. So if I were in your position, the original AirPort and 'b' would be plenty fast, so I would go that route (especially since it is internal and out-of-sight). However, if you frequently share large files, the external 'g' may work better for you. Regarding the installation of the card, I only know for G3 ibooks, but I imagine the PB can't be much different. IF that is the case no 'specialty' tools are required other than maybe a size 0 phillips screwdriver. Other than that the card just slides in like with the new Extream versions (only about twice the size).

-Chris

Specs:
    1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
    Will this card work? It's the Belkin card advertised on the apple website, but walmart had the cheapest price. It says it needs a 32-Bit Card Bus slot. Does the 500Mhz have that?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...498#long_descr

Specs:
    20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2sensen
    Will this card work? It's the Belkin card advertised on the apple website, but walmart had the cheapest price. It says it needs a 32-Bit Card Bus slot. Does the 500Mhz have that?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...498#long_descr

In theory that card should work just fine (I'll eat my hat if the PB doesn't have a PCMCIA slot) but for some strange reason many Belkin products are not supported on the Mac.

-Chris

Specs:
    but I wasn't sure abt. the 32-Bit part. I know it's Type I and II on the 500Mhz PB. I'd think it would work ok, it is the one on Apple's website.

Thanks!

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I have the Belkin pci card, which work well with mt TI PowerBook.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information