New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme 80211n wifi question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slingshot

slingshot is on a distinguished road

Can I stream music from my macbook pro through an amp using this as I was given the airport extreme for xmas instead of the airport express including airtunes.

Also is it possible to connect to a hdtv and again stream from my mac to tv using the airport extreme.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The Airport Extreme base station has a greater capability than the Airport Express. You can stream music and many other functions.

See this Apple comparison page which outlines the differences between the units Apple sells.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

The Extreme base station cannot stream music directly (that is, it does not have Air Tunes and the audio out that the Express has). It certainly could hook up to a separate music driver that took the ethernet feed and did the music conversion and audio out, but that sort of defeats the purpose.
QUOTE Thanks
eiresurg

eiresurg is on a distinguished road

I have the airport express. With it I am able to wifi directly from my iMac to the express unit and stream iTunes to my stereo. It works well, but not great. According to the apple helpdesk it wasn't meant to be used this way. They said, the Express is meant to be used with the Extreme or some other hub device. The wifi signal that iMac outputs is not quite strong enough to gap large distances to the Express. I have them both in the same room, so it usually works fine. I have the same Express hooked up to my printer and I wifi to my printer that way via USB.

If you want to have your computer in one room and send your music to another another room, you'll need the Extreme (or some other hub device) to boost the signal to the Express. So, as said by Daddy Elmis above, you cannot stream music via the Extreme "directly". You need the Express, too.
QUOTE Thanks
slingshot

slingshot is on a distinguished road

ok cool thanks guys.

Apple are going to take it back and I'm going to get the apple tv unit instead, save a lot of hassle
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to get better wireless range on Mac Pro | Complex office networking (server, imac, macbooks, iphones and TVs) »