New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Sharing WiFi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mitch105

mitch105 is on a distinguished road

My neighbor and I would like to share a wireless internet connection via wifi router. My question is, is there any way to share the internet connection yet create our own secure networks? I have an Apple router and she has a Linksys router.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Probably the simplest way (I can think of) is to password protect the Linksys router and only the two of you know the password.
QUOTE Thanks
mitch105

We were thinking of leaving it open for now so other people in the apartment building could use it also. We don't mind sharing, we just want to be able to connect our own devices (wifi printer, other computers, etc.) without other people seeing or snooping around, including each other.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Ah, I see...
Well, you could poke around in System Preferences > Security and turn on File Vault and set password features under the General tab.
Also System Preferences > Sharing ... uncheck everything so your contents are not visible to other network users.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Make sure and enable Stealth Mode on your machine to ignore the requests and make sure your firewall is properly closed up.
QUOTE Thanks
mitch105

These are all good things to know, but the idea was to secure devices within my network. Like my ipod touch, wifi printer, etc. Things that don't have all of those security options.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch105 View Post
These are all good things to know, but the idea was to secure devices within my network. Like my ipod touch, wifi printer, etc. Things that don't have all of those security options.
Just to clarify:

You and the neighbor are sharing wifi (either you or he pays for/owns the router) and you want to keep your devices separate, ie not allowing him to print of your wifi printer or see your ipod touch. Likewise keep you out of his wireless devices.

Correct so far?
QUOTE Thanks
mitch105

Exactly.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

I think you have little to fear with the iPod Touch. It'll show on the network, but I have yet to able to share it at all as a resource.

The wifi printer you can set permissions to so it only accepts prints from your machine or ones you authorize. I'd have to know what wifi printer to help further.

It's not a problem securing devices; your only worry is in internet usage in a free network - your packets are sent out in the clear to be picked apart.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth mouse and keyboard through KVM | Wireless accessing 2nd macbook »