New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule as a HD???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lise999

Lise999 is on a distinguished road

I would like to use my Time Capsule as a HD, so I can put all my music and pictures on it and access the data wireless. I have head that you must create a disk image on it, so that you for example use 1TB for backup and as 1TB for HD.
My problem is when I create the disk image, I do not know what to choose in the various drop-down menus. I have a Macbook 2 GHz intel core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 and have recently got a Time Capsule 2 TB, which I currently only used for backup via Time Machine, and of course wireless router and for my printer. All this I have had not problems with. I would like be able, to access the data on the Time Capulet, with a Vista PC also.
What should I choose the different options when I create the disk image:
-Device Format
-Encryption
-Partitions
-Image format
so the both of my machines can access the music and pictures on the Time Capsule?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Lise a beginner!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You do not need to create a disk image. I would not recommend it either.

I store Time Machine backups from two computers along with music and movies on it.

No partitioning or any other thing needs to be done to it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lise999

But now I'm a little confused. How do I save on the Time Capsule? I can't just drag and drop!
Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Why not? That's exactly what I do.

Does your TC not show up in Finder?

QUOTE Thanks
Lise999

Yes it does, but I can't drag and drop anything onto it! So what to do???
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

What happens when you try to drag and drop something onto it? Like Bob I know it's possible I do it several times a day. Only difference I have noticed is when deleting stuff it gets deleted (with a warning) without being moved to the Trash.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lise999

Nothing happens, I tried to drag and drop, and copy paste, nothing sticks to it. The only thing that happens i a texstbox that says "the subject (a picture) can not be moved, because "Lise Time Cap" can not be changed".
I apologize for my pour English.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You have to open the Time Capsule first by double clicking on it.

Highlight your Time Capsule under Shared in the Finder sidebar.
Then double click the folder on the right to open up the contents of your TC.

It will then look like this:

Then open a 2nd Finder window, drag and drop whatever you want from it into the TC window.

QUOTE Thanks
Lise999

Sorry sorry, don't know what just happened - it looks like it works. But I'm just checking if the vista pc can access.
QUOTE Thanks
Lise999

Thank you, I'm a fool.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Not even close. A fool wouldn't have asked the question.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hmm...Virgin Media UK? | Ext USB HDD, AEBS, Odd behavior »