New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Need some help for my son re remote pc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AyeZee

AyeZee is on a distinguished road

Hi I’m not really tech savvy but I really need some help. I recently got divorced, I have a 6 year old boy how is having a hard time in school, and is three hours away. My goal is to remotely control a pc in his room w/ 2web cams if possible. One on my son, and the other looking over his homework. My hope is to help him via Internet with his homework. Much like I chat except I would be able to remotely use his computer. Is this possible? How is it done I have a Mac book and was thinking of getting him a cheap pc would that still be compatible? I really appreciate anyone’s help
QUOTE Thanks
AyeZee

Hi I’m not really tech savvy but I really need some help. I recently got divorced, I have a 6 year old boy how is having a hard time in school, and is three hours away. My goal is to remotely control a pc in his room w/ 2web cams if possible. One on my son, and the other looking over his homework. My hope is to help him via Internet with his homework. Much like I chat except I would be able to remotely use his computer. Is this possible? How is it done I have a Mac book and was thinking of getting him a cheap pc would that still be compatible? I really appreciate anyone’s help
QUOTE Thanks
AyeZee

QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

Off the top of my head I do not know about any app that supports dual web cams. My solution would be to have two IM windows open with separate accounts and connect that way. Then you can you a VNC server/client combo to remote control his computer while both of you can control and make changes to the remote computer in real time.

Mac to PC - Use "Chicken of the VNC"
Mac to Mac - Use "Screen Sharing" default on Mac
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

In fact if you set up your son with Team Viewer that way it will not matter if he is on a PC or a Mac. You can use Team Viewer to see his screen and iChat for audio perhaps video depending on your/sons ISP but 2 video feeds and screen share seems a tall ask. What you could do if you choose iChat is to sets sons iChat to video Preview then using that with Team Viewer would mean you would have a smaller window showing him but you would really need at least a 17' screen his end i would think. Team Viewer
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Same post in 3 places - please check forum rules.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Please in the future do not crosspost the same post in 3 threads. Just one thread per post/topic. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Collin, thanks for the link to Team Viewer. I hadn't heard of that program. It looks interesting. I may have to give this a try and pass the information on to the tech coordinator at my school.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule or Not? | External Antenna? Way to boost my MBP Wireless reception? »