New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule reliabiliy issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sv1cec

sv1cec is on a distinguished road

I have a Time Capsule I bough lastt January, the 500 GB model. It's working fine, I use it to back up my iMac and I am perfectly happy with it. Since I'll be visiting US in January I was thinking to purchase a 2 TB one, since the one I have has approached its capacity limits.

However, in Apple's site, I have read some horror stories about people whose TC stopped working after only 18 months (or thereabout). I do not want to spend 500 US$ on a device that will last me only 18 months. So what I am asking is:

How founded are those reports of short life for the TC? Do you guys have experience with ones running longer than that? Or are those rumors just that, rumors?

Any answer will be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

I've read the same thing again and again. I just got a 500 GB Time Caps a few months ago. I've opted to just watch it carefully. One suggestion that I have found helpful it is elevate it about an inch or so with plastic or rubber legs (4: 1 for each corner) just to allow maximum air flow as many claim the power supply in Time Caps is not as optimal as it could be for cooling.
QUOTE Thanks
sv1cec

My 500 GB one has been working flawlessly since last February, but it is still a few months away from the "18-months limit".

Thanks for your input.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Mine is now approx 22 months old, still working flawlessly.

If you're concerned, this might be one of the few times I'd suggest considering the extended warranty.

Just realize, even a 1-5% failure rate would cause what would seem to be an avalanche of complaints.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
sv1cec

I am well-aware of the fact that on Internet, most people will post complaints, it's just the nature of the medium. So, no problem there.

As for the extended warranty, the problem is that I plan to buy the TC from US, while I live in Greece. I do not know how that will affect the warranty cover.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network - control from Mac | Time Capsule Question »