New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

My very first MacBook Pro won't connect to the internet :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Okami

Okami is on a distinguished road

With the joy of receiving my very first Mac, I was lso filled with woe when realising the shiny MacBook Pro would not connect to the internet.

As I initially set it up and gave my Apple ID, it seemed to be able to connect to the internet to retrieve my details. But once I was set up and eager to get online I got nothing. AirPort says it's connected but I can't seem to get online in any form. Also, when turning on AirPort all the PC's in the house loose connection (although it still says they are connected).

I'm not very good with computers but I've tried to look up the problem in forums and such to no avail --- does anyone have any ideas?

Ta
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I'm not techie enough to explain what I'm thinking here, but I bet it has something to do with the b/g/n protocol out of the router. Your new Macbook Airport would be asking for an "n" connection. That might cause the PCs to loose their connections if the router had been broadcasting in "b" or "g" and suddenly switched. This, assuming that the PCs don't have "n." Then perhaps the router gets confused and none of the computers are connected. Can you change the broadcasting protocol setting in the router?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
I'm not techie enough to explain what I'm thinking here, but I bet it has something to do with the b/g/n protocol out of the router. Your new Macbook Airport would be asking for an "n" connection. That might cause the PCs to loose their connections if the router had been broadcasting in "b" or "g" and suddenly switched. This, assuming that the PCs don't have "n." Then perhaps the router gets confused and none of the computers are connected. Can you change the broadcasting protocol setting in the router?
Not so Gorge - with a Apple wireless unit that will do 11n if a 11g or 11b connects to Network it defaults to the lower speed, that is why eg; they bought out a dual band unit so u can surf on 11n and still have iPhone connected on 11g
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
With the joy of receiving my very first Mac, I was lso filled with woe when realising the shiny MacBook Pro would not connect to the internet.

As I initially set it up and gave my Apple ID, it seemed to be able to connect to the internet to retrieve my details. But once I was set up and eager to get online I got nothing. AirPort says it's connected but I can't seem to get online in any form. Also, when turning on AirPort all the PC's in the house loose connection (although it still says they are connected).

I'm not very good with computers but I've tried to look up the problem in forums and such to no avail --- does anyone have any ideas?

Ta
What are you on DSL Cable or ? and which unit is handing out DHCP and are u using wireless or ethernet. More info would be helpful. And when u post again include OS and hardware - it all helps to get a picture of your scene.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Collin Bl - OK, I'll take your word for it. I was thinking of a case that came into our computer Lab a couple months back. It was a PC laptop that wasn't connecting to WiFi as it should. It was an older PC, with b/g only. Our router (and hers) was broadcasting b/g/n. When we switched our router to b/g only, the PC connected just fine. When we switched it back to b/g/n, her PC refused to connect. I realize that Macs are probably different, and I know that this lady's PC was just a single case. In fact, it's the only one I've ever heard about acting that way. We have lots of folks using older PCs, and they don't have this problem. But the fact that she did have the problem made me suspicious.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

My take is when it comes to Apple Express or Extreme doing the wireless things usually work together fairly well for a Mac but when it comes to non apple units doing the wireless and a mix of PCs and Macs is when the bar gets a bit higher. My experience is solely with Express and Extremes and Macs so i have to tread carefully.
QUOTE Thanks
Okami

Okami is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for replying.

@ Collin Bl

I have a MacBook Pro OS X Version 10.6 (Processor 2.26, Memory 4BG)

Using Wireless DSL with a BT Voyager 2100.

My boyfriend also tried to connect his MacBook to our WiFi which also had the same result - the PC's in the house losing connection and no connection for the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 Airport Extreme Card - SLOW | Using Mac Mini as a server... »