New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Is Time Capsule a flaky router?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lombardi3g

lombardi3g is on a distinguished road

We have 3 Aluminum MacBooks that connect perfectly to the internet wirelessly via a 500mg Time Capsule. Time Machine functions are fine and I would like to keep this function.

Our other MacBook is plastic and a bit older. It can receive Skype phone calls through the TC (wirelessly) but it cannot surf the web nor send/receive emails though it CAN do both when we travel and use a random router at a hotel or relative's home. I think the TC is a flaky router.

I have been researching and fighting this problem for months now (on the Apple MacBook forum) and I am ready to move on. Moreover, our iPhones cannot surf via the TC's WiFi nor does Mail work though the connect bars are at maximum.

Please recommend a router we can use in our home which can replace the TC yet still have the TC perform its Time Machine duties.
TIA, Allan
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Is your TC an "N" if so the iPhone will not work over it as it only handles "G" and that may very well be the issuewith the older MacBook. I believe your tc can just be configured as "G" then all your devices should work.

Hope this helps
clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What encryption (WEP, WPA, WPA2) are you using on the TC? Are you sure you have the key correct on the white macbook? Also at least with my iPhone 3g, I have with every router with WPA and WPA2, had to add the router SSID and info manually to my iPhone, then it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
lombardi3g

the choices I see for n, g, or b I found after clicking a Time Capsule icon. Then I selected a 'wireless' tab on which was listed 'Radio Mode'. The choices for Radio Mode are 802.11n (802.11 b/g compatible) and 3 other choices which are all 'n' at different speeds (neither b nor g is mentioned).

I seem to be stuck with 'n' and no access for my white MacBook nor iPhones.
!!!???
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I use 2 routers, a D-Link DIR-655 and the TC, running two wireless networks.

Have mine setup with the D-Link handling all DHCP duties.
It also runs a 'g' only network for my 'g' devices; iPhones, PS3, etc.
Run the TC in bridged mode with an 'n' only network for my Macs.

edit: You need to select the one you have listed there - that one is b/g compatible and will allow for 'b' and 'g' devices to connect.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Went to the web to see if I could figure this out.... I get back and someone smarter then me is all over it ! :-) thank you bob ! Op you Are now in very capable hands.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
lombardi3g

The '802.11n (b/g compatible)' does not seem to be 'g' compatible as it says. Oh well - I think I will buy the 'g' router you mention herein but it looks like the white MacBook cannot use the TC for Time Machine duties - that's ok because it is my wife's computer and she hates TM. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If Skype is able to connect on the TC, I'd say the network settings are somehow messed up on the MB, not on the TC.

I'd suggest removing all existing networks on the MB, re-boot and then try to add the network.

QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

If you set up your network to run 11n/11g/11b then it will drop to speed of slowest unit, so u can surf on 11n until you connect your iPhone at which point all units are running 11g. Unless u have a dual band Extreme/Express in which case u can do both at once.

For your older plastic MacBook try adding DNS settings per this here.
QUOTE Thanks
brockmant

brockmant is on a distinguished road

So let me get this straight, this is what my settings should be Bob:

Internet Connection: Connect Using Ethernet (Westell< Time Capsule)
The Click On Airport
Wireless Mode: Create a wireless network.
Wireless Network Name: Tyler's Wireless
(Do I check 'Allow this network to be extended)?
Radio Mode: Which option: Automatic
.11 a/n-11 b/g
or .11 a- 11 b/g
Radio Channel Selection: Automatic or
Manual

Wireless Security: None (I live on 4.5 acres of land so I'm not worried about that lol)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Here's a couple of screenshots of my setup on the TC.

Internet tab:

Airport tab - Wireless
This is a 2nd wireless network, it is not the name of the wireless network on my D-Link.

I also use minimum 25 character passwords.

My TC also provides ethernet connection for my HTPC, Blu-Ray, etc in my entertainment center, but all DHCP still handled by the D-Link.

QUOTE Thanks
brockmant

Ok, I think I got it. However my screen caps look a little different than yours. My guess you have the 500gb and I the 1tb? Or do you have the 1TB and we just have different versions? Oh well, anyway.

As you see my screens look a little different, and I don't think I had the option to straight up put 5ghz N only. I did however get to select 5 ghz Tyler wireless as you will see:

IN THE PICTURE BELOW I ACTUALLY HAVE UNCHECKED ALLOW THIS NETWORK TO BE EXTENDED!!

TO GET TO THE PICTURE BELOW (PHOTO 4) CLICK ON WIRELESS OPTIONS GEARBOX FROM PHOTO 3
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Those pics are WAY too small. Could you upload larger ones?
QUOTE Thanks
brockmant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Those pics are WAY too small. Could you upload larger ones?
Yes I was uploading the correct size ones when you wrote that. I didn't realize at first I had done it as a thumbnail and not a regular size.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Mine is a 1st gen 1TB, looks like they split one of my screens up into two on yours.

Radio Mode is in your 3rd screen shot. I'd select 'n' only, unless you need some 'g' only device to have access.

In that same screen you need to set your wireless security for that network also.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Mac Mini as a server... | Airport Express setup »