New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Help with AN ATV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steve16

steve16 is on a distinguished road

Opened up my new Apple TV but cannot work out this streaming thing ! If I download all my music etc on to the hard drive its all there and plays really well ....But if I go through the stages to stream...ie computer settings . select add shared library I cant enter the generated number unless I select the connect to Itunes panal above and this losses all the music etc on the hard drive Been going around in circles for last 3 hours and the wifes getting a little unhappy (to say the least) !

Please any help......or it goes back tomorrow..

Also the remote ....any way to switch it off from operating on the lap top whilst using it on the ATV.
AWAITING SALVATION...........

Steve
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I think you may need to give a bit more info, but... it sounds like you might be mixing up syncing and streaming. Are you trying to do both on one computer possibly? You can sync to one computer only. Every time you sync to one, and then use the Apple menu to sync to another, it removes everything previously there and replaces it with the new system you are syncing to. Make sure you are adding new computers via streaming -vs- syncing. You should be able to set up streaming on another computer via the iTunes Preferences > Apple TV panel and selecting the option to "Look for Apple TV's". Then close the preferences panel. It should appear in the left hand column with a "click here to connect" type message. You then enter the number to start streaming. Remember you can EITHER sync OR stream from a computer - not both. And, you can only sync to one computer. Unless you hack it, which is verboten topic here. Good luck!

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best setup options? | Help! No Airport card! »