New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule - MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sparky12345678

sparky12345678 is on a distinguished road

Hi
I've downloaded quite a lot of old camcorder footage onto the MBP and the time machine is taking too long to back up. The back up is about 40gb and is taking forever. I have left everything on over night and still no where near.

Is there a lead i can get that will make the process quicker.

i've tried a cat5 lead and usb to usb. still no quicker.

Any help would be great.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Connecting via ethernet cable should help. Perhaps you'll need to turn off the Airport to force the backup via Ethernet. Make sure it's a regular cable and not a crossover cable.

If you're using a Time Capsule, USB to USB is not an option. The USB on the TC is an output, not an input. Actually, I'm not sure where you'd find a cable that you could physically use to connect them.

If you're using some other USB drive besides the Time Capsule, then make sure you're not using a an old USB hub which is not USB 2.0 compliant. Ancient USB 1.0 devices still work with new hardware, but they are very slow.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Ethernet is faster, but if it's not an option then try firewire either 400 or 800. 800 is faster. It's what I use and I backed up about 80 or 90gb in just an hour or two to an external.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac only connects via airport not ethernet | Bluetooth tethering quit working »