New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Just about had it with Apple TV.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nothingfaced

Nothingfaced is on a distinguished road

So, tonight, it all came to a head and I unplugged the thing and threw it in the trash.

Months and months of non-existant constant streaming of movies, failure to sync, and failure to retain previously synced content have just let me to say "enough" with Apple TV.

The movies that I stream to it via my iMac load, and play, for about 5 seconds before the connection drops and the bar just sits there and attempts to load and pretty much stays hanging.

Only the music content that has been synced to it already (and on its hard drive) play like they are supposed to.

Youtube is slow to load movies, but again, the main issue is the fact that my Apple TV (40GB or around that I believe) cannot hold a stream to play my movies for longer than 30 seconds. I've had the DSL guys come out and fix an "open" in the line that was causing dropping through my Time Capsule, and that fixed it for a few days before it started happening again.

Anyone else gone through this nightmare or am I just stuck with this issue? I've had it for a year and a half so apple won't replace it.
QUOTE Thanks
steve16

steve16 is on a distinguished road

Having bought the Apple TV for Christmas I had been reading various reviews and have decided to return it unopened .... I have instead gone for the Mede8er MED 500X. Hopefully this will do all I need at less cost than the Apple. Fingers crossed though that Itunes will sink with it !

Steve
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

I don't know... I have had my Apple TV for over a year now, and I love it. I sync most of my unwatched shows onto the device itself, so I'm usually not streaming, but there are a few shows that I stream and it works just fine. I also installed boxee on my Apple TV which lets me stream tv shows from the internet which is pretty sweet.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
nikwax

nikwax is on a distinguished road

I've had an ATV for several years. Works quite well and is very useful, especially combined with Handbrake for converting, er, downloaded content.

In your case, it sounds like you have a network problem somewhere. I can't see how a DSL router/modem/line issue would cause an issue on your LAN, but you never know. Could be your router is unhappy.
QUOTE Thanks
Big_Mac

Big_Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac 27" 2.66 GHz Intel Core 4Gb Ram|SL|Dual Band 1TB TC|AEX(n)|iPhone 4|iTouch 2G|160GB ATV|MBA

Yeah, defo check your network setup first. How many other 'clients' are connected to the same wireless Access Point as the Apple TV out of interest, or is it connected via ethernet to your Mac/PC?
QUOTE Thanks
steve16

steve16 is on a distinguished road

Decided to go with the ATV instead of the MED 500X . Various factors but the main two hacking prog's helped swing it . Most likely will use Patchstick when I open my surprise on Christmas morning
Now to start checking out the various forums re the above.......

Merry Christmas

Steve
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingfaced View Post
So, tonight, it all came to a head and I unplugged the thing and threw it in the trash.
If you don't want it, I'll take it. Heck, I'll even pay for shipping for you to send it to me!

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingfaced View Post

Months and months of non-existant constant streaming of movies, failure to sync, and failure to retain previously synced content have just let me to say "enough" with Apple TV.

The movies that I stream to it via my iMac load, and play, for about 5 seconds before the connection drops and the bar just sits there and attempts to load and pretty much stays hanging.

Only the music content that has been synced to it already (and on its hard drive) play like they are supposed to.

Youtube is slow to load movies, but again, the main issue is the fact that my Apple TV (40GB or around that I believe) cannot hold a stream to play my movies for longer than 30 seconds. I've had the DSL guys come out and fix an "open" in the line that was causing dropping through my Time Capsule, and that fixed it for a few days before it started happening again.

Anyone else gone through this nightmare or am I just stuck with this issue? I've had it for a year and a half so apple won't replace it.
Do you have mixed 802.11g and 802.11n devices on your network?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme assigning new IP addresses to clients | time machine & wireless router »