New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

New PS3 slim cant connect to older AirPort Base Station

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

hey all,

just brought home a new 120gig PS3 slim and am having trouble getting it to connect to my Airport Base Station. the PS3 can see my network, but after typing in my WEP password, it cant get an IP. its an older base station and doesnt have the option for WPA/WPA2, only WEP.

here's another problem. whenever i try to type in my entire WEP password (12 characters) i get an error message from the PS3 saying the password can only be 5 or 13 characters (for ASCII), so........ i changed my WEP password to be only 5 characters. BUT after typing in that 5 character password, the PS3 ADDS 3 characters (for a total of 8) for some stupid reason. SO when i change the password to be 8 characters i get the error message saying IT HAS TO BE 5 CHARACTERS!!!! i'm about to go totally insane. any help would be appreciated.

p.s. i have an older g4 tower and newer intel macbook that can connect perfectly fine....

EDIT
PS3 site says that no matter how many characters are in your WEP password, it will always display 8 asterisks.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

would a firmware update for my base station maybe work? anyone?

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

i read that there's a way to just add the MAC address from the PS3 to my list of approved machines on my AirPort. anyone ever done that?

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

so doing a manual IP and DNS seemed to get closer. it now gets an IP but now i get a DNS error. any help would be appreciated.

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best portable HD for Airport Base Station | Going wireless with mac desktop & xbox 360 »