New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Extending time capsule wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

revnrev

revnrev is on a distinguished road

I have a 1tb Time capsule from which I broadcast 802.11n. However I have some devices that are not n compatible such as an older iMac. I know I could hard wire my airport extreme into the capsule and broadcast a g network too. But I was wondering if I could pick up the n network wirelessly with the extreme or an express and then push g compatiblity via hard wire to the iMac.

I guess I am asking if I can pick up a wireless n and use the express or an extreme to "convert" it to g? Does that make sense?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If your Time Capsule is one of the dual-band models (released March '09?) it can handle things alone without any additional gear. If I understand your question correctly you could also do what you are proposing. Here's a brief description of how it's done 802.11g and 802.11n on Time Capsule? [Archive] - The macosxhints Forums. Read the post by Felix01. I know I have seen better descriptions. I'll keep looking.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
revnrev

revnrev is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Let us know if that helps. I am pretty sure it can be done. If you haven't worked this out by the weekend I will probably have some time to experiment with it this weekend and give you a better answer.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bose Soundlink with itunes | Connection Kit extension cord wrong type? »