New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Music to stereo via iMac's iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Minimalist

Minimalist is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of feeding music from the iMac to our home stereo amp. The iMac uses no wireless connections at present, but would connect with the stereo via an Airport Express box plugged in next to the stereo. Am I right that nothing else would be needed in this case, just the AE unit and a connection cable between the stereo Auxiliary and an AE output jack? I understand from the Apple video how to guide iTunes to find and work with the AE unit.

Nothing needed at the iMac but iTunes? Is it that simple?

Any tips appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

It really is that simple. As long as the iMac can see the Express you are good to go. You will just select the Express in iTunes and you will have music streaming to it. Works great. Look at Airfoil if you want to stream other audio from the iMac to the stereo.
QUOTE Thanks
Minimalist

Thanks. One slight concern (after seeing a few appliance related problems on the forum) is that I have a wireless phone system throughout the house and the base is in the same room as the iMac. The specs show DECT 6.0, freq range 1.92 GHz to 1.93GHz. RF transmission power 115mv max.
QUOTE Thanks
Minimalist

(Reply to self) But now that I have actually studied the specs better, seems the Express operates at 2 something and 5 something so can avoid that sort of problem probably, especially if it decides, or I ask it, to operate at the higher frequency. May go get an AE at the local Best Buy today if they have it, lugging my present cable along to see if it fits the audio output port. Been running my Sansa Fuze player into the home stereo receiver via the auxiliary RCA jacks, with mini-jack into the Fuze, and that might actually work with the AE if I am lucky. An older receiver, by the way.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless network, should be easy | Netgear WNR 2000 - signal is low or doesn't register at all »