New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Router connection problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

likkle_b

likkle_b is on a distinguished road

I have an ADSL X-station connected to the Pc downstairs and an iMac upstairs connecting wirelessly, I have been recently having problems with the router, at first i had to reboot it to get the internet to work now rebooting sometimes doesn't work, so maybe its time for a new router...any suggestions? I would buy another X-station but can't find one ANYWHERE online. I checked the threads on here and looks like the D-Link DIR-655 is getting ratings so would this work for me? ones easy to set up would be appreciated as i don't no a lot and recently took a Belkin N back because it wasn't staying connected. thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

As you've already discovered, there are quite a few of us here using the DIR-655 and like it. It is a pretty easy setup.

However, being upstairs while the router is downstairs is going to be an ongoing issue for you, no matter what brand of router you get. My home is a single story, so I can't even test it out. Perhaps wait until someone using it like this posts some comments.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I have a D-link DIR 615, a lesser model, but I can happily use my old Powerbook upstairs without drop out. I get 3 bars on Airport, and my router is under a desk in my hall.
The router is Wireless N but the Powerbook certainly isn't.
Some of this will depend on the construction materials in your home (if you have lead lined floors upstairs you'll be stuck )

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Some of this will depend on the construction materials in your home (if you have lead lined floors upstairs you'll be stuck )
If he has lead lined floors upstairs he better have a sturdy cement ceiling.

But you're right, it depends on the construction of the home. My son has his router upstairs (cheap model supplied by AT&T) and has no problem whatsoever using his PC notebook or iMac downstairs. The DIR-655 has better range ability than most routers so he should be OK.

BTW, I also have two DIR-615 routers as spares. I'm currently using an ActionTech supplied by Verizon since we have FIOS internet and TV.

(FIOS = Fiber Optic Service)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
likkle_b

ok so i wanna get the dir 655, but i have adsl, so how can i make it work?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You would hook the DIR-655 after the ADSL modem. In other words, the input line from your ISP connects to the modem, output from the modem to the input of the router. That will give you a wireless signal that can be used for the machines in your home.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
likkle_b

thanks alot appreciate ur help, do u know of any good modems? as theres no point me having a good router with a rubbish modem or does it not matter to much?
QUOTE Thanks
pharealmac

pharealmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G

Just get a airport extreme,I had a dlink 615 it was good but the airport extreme is excellent I have had no problems whatsoever.
QUOTE Thanks
likkle_b

I wanted to get that as everything Pc related gets on my nerves, but can i connect it to the pc downstairs adsl?
QUOTE Thanks
pharealmac

pharealmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G

I have a adsl modem which my isp provided,I have it hooked up to my airport extreme with a printer I have my imac running on ethernet, I have turned airport on on my imac it gets all bars, & have 3 laptops running wirelessly,my broadband speed is 1500/264k,its pretty quick & the airport extreme has worked flawlessly.
QUOTE Thanks
likkle_b

argh why is technology so stressful, just want a decent router for adsl broadband
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« access mac mini from windows laptop | MBP WiFi is not working, Apple refuses to fix it... what can I do? »