New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Magic Mouse & Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RezDuane

RezDuane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP

Figured I'd buy a Magic Mouse for my Mac Pro. Drove the 150 miles home from the Apple store with my much coveted Magic Mouse only to discover my Mac Pro has no Bluetooth capabilities. Yup, I've got four iMacs, one Mac Mini and a Mac Book Pro and the Magic Mouse will work on all of 'em but not my high-end Mac Pro

Apple Care said I need an airport card, MA688Z/B. I checked the web, can get it for $49 but one site says it won't work on an '08 Mac Pro. And will that cover Bluetooth connections also? Or do I need something else? Can someone set me straight on this?

TIA
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have a Mac Pro that also does not have Bluetooth capabilities built in. I decided rather than buying the card you mentioned I would go a different route. I purchased a USB Bluetooth dongle and most of the time it works fine. http://www.macmall.com/s?rch&q=usb%20bluetooth&n=macmsc-search&cn=Bluetooth&includeImage=true I was using the D-Link DBT-120 listed in this search. I only stopped using it in favor of a different brand because I rolled over and cracked the first one. I would probably look for the card now just for convenience.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
RezDuane

Thanks! Just ordered one from the site you sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I have a Mac Pro that also does not have Bluetooth capabilities built in. I decided rather than buying the card you mentioned I would go a different route. I purchased a USB Bluetooth dongle and most of the time it works fine. Search results at MacMall.com I was using the D-Link DBT-120 listed in this search. I only stopped using it in favor of a different brand because I rolled over and cracked the first one. I would probably look for the card now just for convenience.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That should work well for you. Just don't roll over it and crush it like I did. Actually, if truth be told, I think I crushed two of them.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
RezDuane

Well, I couldn't wait so I drove into town and picked one up at Best Buy. Got my Magic Mouse going and am a happy camper . . .

Oh, and I'd have to get down on the floor to roll over on it

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
That should work well for you. Just don't roll over it and crush it like I did. Actually, if truth be told, I think I crushed two of them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new macbook dropping wifi connection | Wireless router for accessing external hard drive »