New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Recommended BT Wireless Router For Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swhyard

swhyard is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I recently brought a BT 2110 router but my MacBook was unable to connect dispite having full signal etc. After much troubleshooting i'm returning the router.

Now, can anybody recommend a BT wireless router which is proven to work well with Macs?

Thanks

Simon
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I highly recommend this model:

D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router

It's a little pricey, but well worth it. Excellent signal strength, good security options and easy to setup.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
swhyard

Thanks for the suggestion, but i'd prefer somthing a little more affordable for now.

Also, is it possible to use a neatgear router, or any other brand of router, with a BT internet subscription? As you may have noticed i'm no expert on wireless.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhyard View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but i'd prefer somthing a little more affordable for now.

Also, is it possible to use a neatgear router, or any other brand of router, with a BT internet subscription? As you may have noticed i'm no expert on wireless.
I assume BT stands for British Telecom? If so, did they supply you with a modem, or was their router a combination modem and router?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
swhyard

Yeah, it is British Telecom. They supplied me with a standard modem which provides a wired connection only. It was the newer model I brought which was ment to replace it, but as my MacBook would not connect properly, I am again looking for a new router.

My second post was just to see whether a router made by a seperate company would be compatible with my existing internet connection.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Yes, any router should work with it - you'll just connect it to your modem.

I would steer clear of Netgear, however. Linksys and D-Link are the two brands I recommend.

QUOTE Thanks
swhyard

Thanks, I was just using Netgear as an example though.

At the moment I'm just worried that the same thing will happen and i'll buy a router and it won't connect to my Mac properly.

Can anyone recommend an affordable router that is tried and tested to work with Macs?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhyard View Post
Can anyone recommend an affordable router that is tried and tested to work with Macs?
The Linksys WRT54GL has been around forever and is affordable and works well with Macs. Make sure you get the "L" revision, and not "S". This is the model I'm talking about:

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GL

QUOTE Thanks
swhyard

Thanks a lot for your help with this, it is much appreciated. I'll probaly order one once I sort out returning the BT router.

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

you could buy a used "last generation" Apple Airport Exteme Base Station (the dome-shaped one). Connects to the modem and provides 802.11g wireless and a USB printer port (along with 1 spare ethernet port). On eBay you can get one for USD$30-$50, and the Mac's Airport Utility will see it and make set up and management very easy.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I second the Linksys WRT54GL. Like CWA said, be sure it's the GL version and not the plain WRT54 or WRT54S. Just a note, the Linksys is Wireless G. That will be fine for any Internet usage. A reliable N router costs more like the Dlink that CWA suggested. Great router but more expensive.

Also with the router you are returning, did you try hooking up to it with a Cat-5 cable? Did that work or no internet like with WiFi? Also did you use encryption like WEP, WPA, WPA2?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport express with linksys wireless router | using a mobile phone as a modem »