New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Failure to reconfigure AirPort Express

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcnallye

mcnallye is on a distinguished road

I would really appreciate advice from the network gurus. I had a system which worked pretty well using an iMAC, Airport Extreme, one of the old AirPort expresses (b/g) and a new AirPort Express(n). I had some blackout spots in the house and occasionally my music would stop and restart so I thought perhaps by shifting things round a little bit I could improve matters.

My first problem is that I cannot configure the old AirPort Express. The AirPort utility finds the device, I can rename it and get a green light up until I try to get it to join the network created by by AirPort Extreme. When I try starting it up after asking it to join the network, it disappears from the airport utility which informs me that it cannot reconfigure and I should close and restart. I had no trouble reconfiguring the n AirPort Express. I've tried several resets to no effect

Can anyone help?

Follow-on questions:

Once I get the above fixed, I would like to attach another wireless router that I have (not an airport device) to the network to try and fill some of the blackspots. What is the best way of doing this without upsetting the Airport network.

Many thanks

Eugene
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

When u reset the old express - did it come up with the MAC address for the unit in AU? MAC will be on external label. Might be worth getting a copy of this to help with set up.
QUOTE Thanks
mcnallye

Thanks for the quick response. The Airport ID on the old express matches what comes up in AU. I'll take a look at the article.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mcnallye

The article is part of a book available for purchase.

Any other suggestions ? from anyone ?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Compatibility | WD MyWorldBook »