New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wirelessly print without affecting Fios

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iTrust

iTrust is on a distinguished road

Hello. I have Fios for my television and internet, and they used all of their own equipment to hook these services up. I had been using an Airport Extreme Base Station but the Fios techs said they couldn't hook up my Fios with this base station, so it's been sitting unused for almost a year. However, I desperately miss being able to print wirelessly!!!

So...I am wondering if there is a way to use my Airport Extreme Base Station to print wirelessly from my MacBook Pro and my MacBook. I currently use an HP C4480 printer, but also have a HP Deskjet 3820 and a HP Deskjet 6940 that I could use. I don't want to have to purchase a new printer (I own three!) and I would love to not have to purchase some additional hardware, cables, etc. since I have the Airport Extreme Base Station. Most importantly, I do NOT want to mess with my Fios in any way, and although I have read about the ways in which one could possibly configure the AEBS to work with Fios, it is WAYYY too complicated for a computer-illiterate person like me. I am looking for a SIMPLE way to print wirelessly, preferably without purchasing anything new!

Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You've pretty much eliminated any way to get wireless printing working with the requirements you stated in your post. You either have to configure your AEBS to work in conjunction with the FIOS equipment or use your Verizon ActionTec or Westell router to provide the wireless signal.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
iTrust

iTrust is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that's what I figured. I am assuming my only other option is to purchase a wireless printer, which I very well may do. I am not comfortable or qualified to configure my AEBS to work with Fios and if I mess it up I'll be without Internet until someone can fix it, which is not an option in my line of work.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Why not set up a separate network connection in the Network Preferences pane. The second connection would include the AEBS and whatever printers you want to use. Select that connection when you want to print then select your regular connection when don't. Minor inconvenience not having Net for the few minutes it takes to print but otherwise easy to deal with.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Not familiar with FIOS but why can't you use the AEBS set up in DMZ behind their modem.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

He can, but he has already mentioned that he doesn't want to use the AEBS with the Verizon FIOS equipment.

FIOS = Fiber Optic Service. (definitely proprietary)

Actually, the suggestion given by Slydude is a very good one and should work.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Secure Padlock Symbol Missing on Wireless Network List - Help! | time capsule backup volume issues »