New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Ibook OSX cannot connect to internet (dns issues)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dooper

dooper is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

first of all,my regular machine is a pc so i'm troubleshooting someone elses lappy.

Its an ibook with OSX Version10.4.11

It cannot connect to a DSL router either via etherent or airport.

The setup in the router doesnt show it as connected/issued with a dhcp address.

I browsed to network utility>info and viewed the various interfaces i.e for the aircard and also the ethernet and they both show nonsensical ip addresses.

I did some research and found unix type commands to be issued via the termnial window to flush dns cache ??

I did that and it made no difference.

I suspect the lappy might have picked up these idiot ip's during a router resynch.

I need to flush them and then setup permannent dhcp ip's in the router for both interfaces..

So how do i clear the ip's?

thanks

jo

Hi Larry..guess what..i have the same problem..!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...tml#post947857

Cant connect using etherent either...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's possible the airport card in the iBook is having problems. The iBook is an older machine which has been around for awhile.

Before doing any further extensive trouble shooting, you might want to try to reset the router back to factory default (use the reset button - check manual) and start over. Just make sure you copy down any ISP proprietary settings before doing the reset. Set the router up to use PPPoE and DHCP.
You can either leave the DNS settings blank or use OpenDNS.

If the above doesn't help.....

Not being able to connect using ethernet is usually a sign of trouble either hardware related or improper setup. Was the iBook working OK before? Did the owner make any changes to his\her on line setup, either wireless or ethernet?

If you can navigate your way around in Tiger OS X, go to "System Preferences", Network, and check the settings. (don't bother with wireless until you get ethernet working)

Post back to this same thread and we can try to go from there.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: merged crossposts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dooper

dooper is on a distinguished road

Hi,,,

Since posting i have done further work...!

The lappy has worked fine until the last week or so when it seemed to have minor intermittent issues with connecting.

Today it decided it didnt want to connect via ethernet or airport.

The system is a netgear DG834GT ADSL router.

Other devices can connect via the router.

The router would not show the ibook as an attached device

Eventually in network> i had to setup both ethernet and airport connects as DHCP with manual and key in the manual addresses 192.168.0.4/5 which i had also allocated in the router menu against the mac addresses for both the ethernet and airport interfaces.

It now works..

So basically,it appears that when plugging in ethernet or turning on airport, the ibook refuses to pick up a DHCP allocated router resource.

It doesnt seem to be a router issue. Ive powered it off/reset it etc etc and it has worked previously on auto dhcp with the ibook and works fine with other pc type gear..

It seems like a software issue but i wonder what??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
It doesnt seem to be a router issue. Ive powered it off/reset it etc etc and it has worked previously on auto dhcp with the ibook and works fine with other pc type gear.. It seems like a software issue but i wonder what??
Glad you got it working. However, you shouldn't have to go through all that trouble. DHCP "should" be automatic. If it flakes out again, try removing the connection entirely through System Preferences and start anew.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook g4 won't connect to internet | stolen mbp > accessible through internet? »