New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Music to Airport via ethernet??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lukus

Lukus is on a distinguished road

Hi There,

I'm new here so apologies if this has been touched on before. I have looked but can't find a satisfactory answer.

I am wanting to stream music from iTunes to my airport express via an Ethernet cable. I'll explain why...

- Network hub setup in the office which is at one end of the house
- Plugged into network is a NAS device with music
- Plugged into network MacBook Pro.
- I have run an Ethernet cable (internally) to the other end of the house where the entertainment area is to which the airport express is plugged in.
- Airport Express is configured as a wireless access point with dhcp disabled (letting the router do the work)

The distance between my MacBook Pro (where itunes is playing) and the airport express is too great to get a wireless signal so I want to use the Ethernet cable instead of wireless. I also want to use my iPhone as a remote using the airport express to get access to iTunes.

So far iTunes has been unable to pick up the airport express (unless I drag my laptop out into the living area and turn on its airport card).

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do what I'm after?
QUOTE Thanks
Lukus

Lukus is on a distinguished road

It was because I had the connection sharing set to 'Share a Public IP' in the airport express set up. I made the change to 'off (bridge mode)' and itunes found it no problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Airport Password Locked | Best software to backup over wireless network »