New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Direct connect network problem Mac to PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

haggisman

haggisman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13.3" 2Gb RAM

Hi

I have a problem which has probably come up a billion times before, but here goes. I just purchased a 13.3" Macbook Pro, and I am trying to move music and docs/pictures to it from my old Lenovo PC laptop.

I'm using a direct connect crossover ethernet cable (cat 5e) to connect the two, using the wired ethernet port on each laptop.

I've also disabled wireless on each just so I can get this exercise completed and working properly. Here are the basic network settings for each card:

PC: 202.168.5.11 Mask: 255.255.255.0

Macbook: 202.168.5.10 Mask: 255.255.255.0

the network cards are both running at 100mb. half-duplex and there are no link errors.

Now the problem: I can ping from the PC to the Macbook with no problem -
the other direction (Macbook to PC) gets immediate icmp timeouts thus:

PING 202.168.5.11 (202.168.5.11): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

[ ... ]

Anyone have an idea why it's acting like this? I've done this laptop to 'other hardware' direct connect millions of times at my work (Linux geek), but never with a Mac involved. I'm stumped!

I suspect possibly the subnet mask is incorrect, or the duplex should be set to full (Which I can't do just yet because you have to be root to reset interface settings , and I haven't figured out how to activate the root account yet - I'm a newbie Mac user and just LOVE it, and so glad to get off of my PC finally, so go easy on me

Anyone?

Thanks

Steve

p.s. It's a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet card in the PC if thats an issue
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

any firewalls on either machine? If so, turn em off... if the connection works, that's the cause.. now you have to start configuring the firewalls.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
haggisman

haggisman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13.3" 2Gb RAM

Thanks Mike,

First thing I did actually - they are both off

Steve
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Here's a good article on how to do it: LINK

You also may want to take a look at "Move2Mac" not free though. $39.95

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Setup Help | Can't find "Network" »