New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Totally lost: Airport extreme card not installed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Radico

Radico is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I'm new here so could use some help. I've browsed as many forum trends as I could find, including tear-down videos and tuts for the following problem:

My airport card for the 5.5 macbook pro 13 in unibody (mid/late 09 model) suddenly stopped working. It was working perfectly earlier this week in class/work, but when i brought it home (in a hand-held latched and padded case) I got an error saying, "airport card not installed." The trip from classroom to home took about 5 minutes, with no banging the comp around.

I went through the boot option-command-p-r and the other procedure as well (sorry forgot the sequence of keys) as indicated by applecare support people over the phone with no luck. Also, under "about this mac" -> "more info" -> network -> airport readout is only:

Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.0 (600.22)
configd plug-in: 6.1 (610.2)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.0 (600.22)
AirPort Utility: 5.4.2 (542.23)
IO80211 Family: 3.1 (310.6)

with NO "interfaces" readout below that as there should be if the hardware were working or was plugged in correctly. I have also tried completely reinstalling the OS (newest snow leopard) to no avail. Note that when connected via ethernet, the internet works great. And my wireless network works great on my other machines.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that the airport wireless card has come loose (had similar issue with RAM coming loose on the new iMac), and I can't find a definite answer anywhere as to it's location inside the macbook pro 13in 5.5 unibody, and whether it's accessible to plug back in correctly, or replace myself?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

If you are close to a reseller or Genius Bar, pop it in as I think you are no doubt correct in assuming the antenna has become disconnected during transporting. Also Airport cards do die, and they can check this out as well if the first option fails.
QUOTE Thanks
mojo69

mojo69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83GHz 1GB RAM 10.6.2 iMac G4 800mHz 768RAM 10.4.11

can also try "if config" in Terminal window it will tell you what each of your ported connections are doing, i.e Airport, Ethernet, Firewire,....

"If you know the answer to everything...then what is there to seek.."
QUOTE Thanks
jimmyabc

jimmyabc is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'd like to bump this old thread as I'm having the same problem as Radico.

I have the 1st Gen Unibody MBP (15 inch, MacBookPro5,1) and the when I go to click the AirPort icon I get 'No AirPort Card installed'. System Profiler also only shows me the software spec of AirPort...

I'm thinking the most likely scenario is that either the Airport Card needs to be re-mounted or the AirPort Card needs replaced.

Trouble is I can't see it! I've opened the Mac up and I'm assuming its tucked away under (opening the Mac from the bottom..) the logic board (i.e. between the keyboard and the logic board)? I've looked up the iFixit site (and others) and cant see any mention of how to locate the card on a 1st Gen Unibody MBP...

Could someone point me in the right direction of a 'how to' of where to look inside the Mac? Or even just where it is located from anyone who's done this repair themselves so I can get in there and take it out.

thanks!
J
QUOTE Thanks
jimmyabc

jimmyabc is on a distinguished road

Bump!!!
QUOTE Thanks
elitesimo

elitesimo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radico View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here so could use some help. I've browsed as many forum trends as I could find, including tear-down videos and tuts for the following problem:

My airport card for the 5.5 macbook pro 13 in unibody (mid/late 09 model) suddenly stopped working. It was working perfectly earlier this week in class/work, but when i brought it home (in a hand-held latched and padded case) I got an error saying, "airport card not installed." The trip from classroom to home took about 5 minutes, with no banging the comp around.

I went through the boot option-command-p-r and the other procedure as well (sorry forgot the sequence of keys) as indicated by applecare support people over the phone with no luck. Also, under "about this mac" -> "more info" -> network -> airport readout is only:

Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.0 (600.22)
configd plug-in: 6.1 (610.2)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.0 (600.22)
AirPort Utility: 5.4.2 (542.23)
IO80211 Family: 3.1 (310.6)

with NO "interfaces" readout below that as there should be if the hardware were working or was plugged in correctly. I have also tried completely reinstalling the OS (newest snow leopard) to no avail. Note that when connected via ethernet, the internet works great. And my wireless network works great on my other machines.

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that the airport wireless card has come loose (had similar issue with RAM coming loose on the new iMac), and I can't find a definite answer anywhere as to it's location inside the macbook pro 13in 5.5 unibody, and whether it's accessible to plug back in correctly, or replace myself?
Hi Radico, am having the same problem with my macbook pro 13 inch and was wondering if you(or anyone else) has a solution to the problem. I replaced the airport card but nothing changed, then i used another screen from a working macbook pro(same specs) but nothing changed, infact the other screen now has the same problem and the owner is going bonkers about it. is it possible that the logic board killed the screen? pliz help
QUOTE Thanks
sharpeeee

sharpeeee is on a distinguished road

Hi, any updates on how to solve this problem? I have the same model as Radico's but my MBP's airport just started acting up two weeks ago. I connected it to an ethernet cable at the office, and turned airport off, and then when I got home to connect it to the wifi, I got the message "no airport card installed". The system profiler still has it listed, though.

Would appreciate any help! It's 2013 and there's still no official fix for this. What did you end up doing, Radico? THANKS!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeeee View Post
Hi, any updates on how to solve this problem? I have the same model as Radico's but my MBP's airport just started acting up two weeks ago. I connected it to an ethernet cable at the office, and turned airport off, and then when I got home to connect it to the wifi, I got the message "no airport card installed". The system profiler still has it listed, though.

Would appreciate any help! It's 2013 and there's still no official fix for this. What did you end up doing, Radico? THANKS!
All i could suggest is to do a Repair Permissions via Disk Utility, and then download the Combo Update for whatever OS you are running and installing that. You should be able to google say "Apple 10.6.8 Combo Update" and replace 10.6.8 with your OS.

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You could also try both a SMC reset and NVRAM reset.
Top google hit should give you apple's page for how to do it.
I forget which of them will have an affect on the airport.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Express Only Recognizes One Band of my Dual Band Router | Loss of network »