New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule + Airport Express + Ipod Touch = Sonos replacement?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sws

sws is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I hope you guys can help me out:

Background to my question:
I currently have a SONOS system. I love most of it, although I really miss 'dynamic' playlists. You cannot play songs 'on the fly'. You have to go into your library to create your playlists manually. Sure, you can import an iTunes playlist, but this playlist isn't 'dynamic' (unlike the 'Genius' feature in iTunes, where you click a song and a playlist is created). With my SONOS, I feel like I'm tapping into the same songs over and over (I'm lazy, I know ) while other (less familiar) songs are rarely played.

I'm thinking of buying an iMac in a while and I would also like to replace the SONOS with an iTunes based system where I can generate playlists on the fly. (+ to reduce the number of boxes, remotes, ... in my house).

Questions:
Can you put your iTunes library on a Time Capsule (instead of on your Mac), still access your music with your Mac turned off via an iPod Touch (as a remote) and play it via one or more Airport Express base stations (connected to a stereo or active speakers)? If so, the SONOS has to go. If not, Apple is missing an opportunity here (in my opinion).

Can you replace one of the Airport Express base stations with an Apple tv?
Do both the analog as the digital audio output on the Apple tv work simultaniously (or is one disabled when the other one is in use)?

Many thanks for your help !
QUOTE Thanks
jeltekalkman

jeltekalkman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Hi, I'll just answer question step-by-step

Q: Can you put your iTunes library on a Time Capsule (instead of on your Mac), still access your music with your Mac turned off via an iPod Touch (as a remote)
A: You can create an external library on an external (network)drive and play it remotely from iTunes.
however! you cannot control it with iPod/iPhone when its turned off.

Q: Can you replace one of the Airport Express base stations with an Apple tv?
A: Nope sorry, Airport Express is a wireless acces point, with an audio output. the output gets it signal wirelessly, the Apple TV doesn't support such signals.

Q: Do both the analog as the digital audio output on the Apple tv work simultaniously (or is one disabled when the other one is in use)?
A: There should be no problem using them simultaniously. of this I'm not sure however.

Hope this helps you out a bit.
Cheers

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
sws

Hi,

Thanks for your answers, but a few things remain unclear to me:

Quote:
Q: Can you put your iTunes library on a Time Capsule (instead of on your Mac), still access your music with your Mac turned off via an iPod Touch (as a remote)
A: You can create an external library on an external (network)drive and play it remotely from iTunes.
however! you cannot control it with iPod/iPhone when its turned off.
So, the iPod Touch serves just a remote for iTunes ('the app') which cannot be accessed when your Mac is turned off of course... You can't install iTunes on the Time Capsule, if I understand you correctly? (the Logitec Squeezebox has a 'server' app that you need to install on your NAS, the SONOS just finds the music on your NAS (has its software installed on the zone players & remote). Is the Time Capsule a NAS or is it just a HD with a built in router?

Quote:
Q: Can you replace one of the Airport Express base stations with an Apple tv?
A: Nope sorry, Airport Express is a wireless acces point, with an audio output. the output gets it signal wirelessly, the Apple TV doesn't support such signals.
But it would be possible if you connect the Apple tv to a wired network? (which I prefer, more stable & faster)

Thanks again,
Best regards !
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I am also a Sonos owner and tried the whole iTunes/AirPort thing. Do yourself a favor and do not sell the Sonos until you use the new solution for a few weeks. If you're like me you will come running back to Sonos. It's really not that hard to create some Genius playlists and let the Sonos get updated with them while you sleep (or manually by clicking a button). I am also very lazy and have been begging for Slacker integration with the Sonos. Yes the iPod Touch/iPhone is nothing more than a remote and yes you can wire the AppleTV (recommended actually).
QUOTE Thanks
sws

Hi,

Many thanks for your input.

I'll stick with the Sonos for now and hope that they integrate a genius-like-feature in one of the next software updates. That would make Sonos really perfect for me.

I agree with you that importing a 'Genius' playlist isn't that hard at all, but I want to be able to play a 'Genius list' for let's say 10-15 songs and then switch to something else. Having to import a new list every time is, let's be honest, not really that user friendly. (I currently do not own an iPod touch, nor an iPhone, so for me that means running to the computer everytime).

I'm a bit dissapointed in the 'genius' of Apple, though. In my humble opinion they are missing a great opportunity to 'jump' on the (budget friendly) multiroom system bandwagon, especially because you could integrate everything beautifully with your existing computer/iPod setup and reduce clutter in your house. Oh well, maybe they will offer a solution in one of their next product updates. I'll keep an eye on it.

The iMac still is on my 'to buy list', thought

Take care !
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough

No worries. I totally agree. I have been really missing something "Genius" for the Sonos. I always thought Apple would end up buying Sonos. Probably not going to happen now though. I do use my iPhone for a Sonos controller though. That is awesome. I am wondering if I could use the iTunes remote part and create a Genius playlist and then just update the index from the Sonos controller. Might give it a shot. Not very user friendly though.
QUOTE Thanks
sws

Sounds like a plan. Can you please give it a try and let me know if it works?
thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
Sounds like a plan. Can you please give it a try and let me know if it works?
thanks !
Will do!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Access to Time Cpsule | Airport express »