New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

ibook g4 won't connect to internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

larrycleve

larrycleve is on a distinguished road

Please be patient as I'm not familiar with macs. I'm helping my mother with her ibook g4. She lives next door in a side by side house and gets her internet from our dlink router. The signal seems to be working as my wife's laptop gets the internet in our house. My mother has a dlink booster in her house that seems to be getting the signal as its light is flickering which means it's working. Her ibook seems to be getting the signal as all bars on top are black. When trying safari or mail an error shows that the server can't be found. Any ideas what to look for?
QUOTE Thanks
jeltekalkman

jeltekalkman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Your connected to the wireless network, but you don't have an internet connection.
What system are you running?
example:. Mac OSX 10.6.2
you can see this under: "Apple menu"-->About this Mac

Supposing you are running at least OS X Tiger (10.4.0)
go to the system preferences,
go to "Network"
click "airport"
click on "advanced"
a screen should pop-up
click on "TCP/IP" in the top
click on Refresh DHCP Lease
if this doens't work,
reset the router. most of times this works.

cheers

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
larrycleve

I've tried all that. After the refresh the ip address keeps beginning with 169.
QUOTE Thanks
jeltekalkman

jeltekalkman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black

hmm.. 169 is in fact a local adress, so that should be fine..
could you send me some pictures of both your dlink setting, as well as your network settings?
I'll send you my e-mail adress in a private message.

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
larrycleve

I think I'm screwing things up more. I turned the ibook on this morning and no network is showing. I tried creating a network naming it default on channel 11. It gives a strange symbol instead of the bars and said a computer to computer connection was made.
QUOTE Thanks
larrycleve

I got the network back. The router somehow had the channel changed to 6. I changed it to 11 and the ibook connected to the network. However I'm still back to the original problem of not connecting to the internet. When going into network from system preferences it says about airport- Airport is connected to network default. Airport has a self assigned ip address and may not be able to connect to the internet. The configure ipv4 is using DHCP and the ip address begins with 169. Right back to square one.
QUOTE Thanks
larrycleve

Got the problem solved, sorry I was so long getting back. It turned out that it was the router. I took the laptop to the apple store and it worked fine with their wifi. My router was 10 years old and apparently showing its age. I went to best buy and bought a belkin n+ router and everything is working great. Thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

LOL sometimes the dashed things show their age at 13 months, as soon as the warranty expires. They are pretty high tech gadgets and do fail from time to time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Disconnects Randomly | Ibook OSX cannot connect to internet (dns issues) »