New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Problems--First time using laptop and wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blip

blip is on a distinguished road

I have a mac mini, current generation, running leopard, which is hard wired to our cable modem. I just inherited a PC laptop for a couple of weeks, that has built in wifi, so I was hoping to double my internet computers. With the PC, I chose my wireless network and put in the password. It connected like it does on other wifi networks, and the connection info says its connected, the speed, etc. But, when I put a web address in, I get an error saying the there was a problem with the DNS. I have very little knowledge about this type of thing, but I've used the laptop elsewhere and was able to pick a network, connect, and start surfing. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Boy, that's a hard thing to diagnose or describe online like this. Basically, go into Control Panel, Networking, select the wireless connection, go to Advanced, and make sure DNS is set to Automatic. I fiddle around with peoples PC laptops all the time who are have difficulty connecting to the access point we run at our Lab. There must be a dozen of different variables that could be the problem.

That's another really nice thing about the Mac. Turn it on, and Airport connects. I've never seen anyone have a problem with it.
QUOTE Thanks
zspace

zspace is on a distinguished road

my macbook sees my wireless signal but says its locked with password , I typed in admin and everything worked, now when I try to launch Safari is says its not connected to internet. Airport is on , but no connection
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network attached storage... hooked up to an eMac? | How do I set NAT to open? »