New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

"older" airport extreme and 4 port switch?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I've got the prior version of the airport extreme (the "dome") that has a USB port and one ethernet port. Currently, I have a Canon MX700 network printer hooked to the AE by the ethernet connection.

I'd like to add a network drive to store document, iTunes, etc, for the home network, and what I'm wondering is if I can put a simple 4 port router on that single ethernet port on the AE and connect multiple ethernet devices to it ("multiple" here meaning my Canon network printer and a NAS drive).

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

You are looking for an Ethernet switch. Hook up the Ethernet switch to the AirPort and you should be good to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

great -- suspected that would work but wasn't sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using GUEST to connect to a Mac | Trying to create a static IP address »