New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Macbook will no longer pick up wireless signals

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frankman

frankman is on a distinguished road

For a couple of years I've used a linksys router with my macbook. One day last week, it lost the wireless signal.

I've tried rebooting everything involved (computer, router & cable modem) with no change. I doubt its my internet because 1) my work laptop connects fine and 2) I used to pick up my neighbors signal on the macbook and I no longer see their network.

The airport is definitely on, but it does not see any networks at all.

I plugged in an ethernet cable directly to the router and that allows me to access the internet perfectly fine.

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Just so we are clear...what model laptop do you have?

Thanks,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
frankman

Its a macbook 3.1 (or 3,1 as it seems to say)

And its running 10.5.8, if that makes a difference.

Frank
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I'm not sure what 3.1 means. How about the specs of it? Around what time frame did you buy it?
QUOTE Thanks
frankman

The hardware info in the mac shows Macbook3,1. I'm not sure what it means either. I got it late 2007 I think.

Here are the rest of the specs:
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

The airport card info is:
Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x88)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21)
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I don't want to butt in, but this page says that if you have a 13" late 2007 MacBook, you should really pick up this update.

It's dated Aug. 2009, so it's possible you've already got it, if so you can discard my post.
Just don't want anything overlooked.

QUOTE Thanks
loobyloz

loobyloz is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you and it is really getting me down. My Macbook has now come to the end of its warranty period but even then I had the airport card changed twice because it started to lose the signal strength! Now it is doing it again...

My Macbook is running Mac OS X version 10.4.11 and is regularly kept udated.

Any clues as to what I could do to sort this connectivity problem out?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
StephenK

StephenK is on a distinguished road

Loobyloz,
I am having the same problem you're having with the same version of OS X. Sometimes the signal is fine, sometimes I have to reboot to get it to pick anything up, and sometimes it just refuses. I can be within 6 feet of my router, and it won't connect to the signal, or I can be in a different room, and it picks it up quickly. Makes no sense! Were you able to solve your problem?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Express and Dynalink Wireless modem | trying to connect remotely to a server - error code 36 »