New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Home Network question!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fixerman

fixerman is on a distinguished road

On my home network my iMac is visible from my windows computers but to access any of the windows computers from the iMac I have to use Finder's "Connect to Server" option. For this I need to know the IP Address of each computer I need to access and this has to be done each time the iMac is rebooted.

Is it possible to set the iMac so that all the computers on the Home Network are visible automatically after booting up?
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

There are a few things to try:

First thing I would do is temporarily disable your firewall you your Windows machines just to see if it's something security related. Often times firewalls as well as virus/malware protectors will block certain operations that will produce the type of issue you are seeing.

The next things I would try is:

1) On your iMac open System Preferences->Network.
2) Select whatever device (Airport or Ethernet) you use to connect to your home network
3) Click Advanced
4) You will see a tab called "WINS", select this
5) In the Workgroup combo box, enter the name of the Workgroup that your Windows machine is using. By default on older versions of Windows I believe it's WORKGROUP, with Win 7 I believe it's MSHOME. You can find this out by going to MyComputer->Properties.
6) Click ok.

The second option is probably the better bet since you can actually connect to your Windows machines via the IP address but I would give both a shot.

Also, I am assuming you have FileSharing enabled on your Windows machines and everything else works as expected.
QUOTE Thanks
plodkiller

plodkiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: saving for a macbook pro

Have you enabled samba as your networking protocol. Sometimes if only atp is enabled networking with windows machines is iffy. Also if you enable the network shares in your startup menu they will be there when you boot up
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV video support | iMac Airport to Nintendo Wii »