New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook & Wireless Linksys Router Password Setting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BEX420

BEX420 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and semi new in the mac world I got a little problem though... Okay so i live in an apartment and everyone loves my free WIFI lol now I guess my ? is how can i place a password on my wireless network and prevent others from feeding off of my connection??

Thanks in advance all help is appreciated..
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

bennjiboi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb

Welcome to the forum!

What sort of modem/router is it? Usually, in the setup, the same place that you would find details for setting the SSID you will find security settings to 'lock' (secure) the network.

If you let us know what make and model I'm sure we'll be able to help a little more

Stanton ATM 6 active monitors | Canon 450D | Razer Sphex
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

login to your linksys router by typing
192.168.1.1 in your browser URL box.

default user name and passwords are both "admin" all lower case.

when you get into the router, there is an easy setup icon you can select or select the wireless tab, then wireless security settings. That is where you can create/edit your password for the network. Whatever you do, write down the password and verify you input it correctly, just so you dont lock youself out. if you do, there is a small reset button on the back of every router (where the ports are), hold it down for 15seconds and youll be back to default. (SSID linksys, no password/web encryption)

Hope this helps, just PM me if you would like me to walk you through step by step.

-J
QUOTE Thanks
BEX420

BEX420 is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU!!!!!! WOW.... What a difference before i had my network block I was running on 3.0megs now that i finally figured it out with your guys help it's at 10Megs and 3.Megs Upload!

Thanks Again...
QUOTE Thanks
jilleen

jilleen is on a distinguished road

many google searches later, finally found this thread, took me 2 minutes to finally secure my network, no more free wifi neighbours!
Many thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Best protection is WAP2 Personal with a thirteen numeric/alphabetic password. That will kick them off!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet via Ethernet Only | Airport Extreme & BT Home Hub »