New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

I lost both ethernet and wireless Internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheDiceMan

TheDiceMan is on a distinguished road

Last night, I lost both ethernet and wireless Internet. Trying to sort it today it seems that my lovely ISP do not offer os x support (brilliant!)

so in my fiddling I have green lights on my router - Ethernet (occasionally flashes), dsl and Internet.

Into safari, and network diagnostics - I have green for Ethernet, network settings and ISP. Red for Internet and server

Connecting the Ethernet to my xbox I get 'can't obtain an ip address from your router or modem' error

Additionally, when I bootcamp and ipconfig I get an ip of 169.254.100.225, but am told by my ISP that it should be 192.168.1.64

I'm completely lost and am researching by iPhone - I know this a mess of information but my ISP are useless

'elp!

:watery smile:
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

OK..a few things..looks you have a DSL modem and a router there..and your Mac, XBOX connected to the router...OK..

First things first, turn off the router and DSL modem. Let them stay off for a couple of minutes, turn on the DSL modem first and let it fully come up into it's idle state and then power up the router..

The router is going to be handing your devices address, from the fact that you mention 192.168.1.64 (not sure why claim that particular address) the router is likely going to be at 192.168.1.1..

Once the router/DSL modem have been power cycled, check if your Mac can get an IP address and if it's 192.168.1.xx..if so, try to get out to the Internet. If that doesn't work, open up Safari and head to http://192.168.1.1 which should the admin page for the router, go to the Status tab and see if it got an IP address from your ISP through the DSL modem..if not, that's your FIRST issue you need to the ISP to resolve.

Also, please respond back with your router brand name so that we can better help you with that..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

plug directly into your router with Ethernet and access the settings with a web browser.

Let us know brand of router, ISP, etc. to better help
No OSX support is a lame excuse - these issues are router/network related.

Have they worked before?
QUOTE Thanks
TheDiceMan

Thanks guys, your help is very much appreciated - I couldn't agree more deus, very poor - plus they've outsourced their tech support - so you just end up getting a script reading imp!

Anyway, i'm using and have been using a speedtouch 585 for, at the very least 18 months - all working normally till last night. The speedtouch plugs directly into the asdl box in the hall. From the speedtouch I have Ethernet'd the xbox and wifi my MacBook.

So I've cycled the equipment, no Internet and I alsocannot log onto my router 'safari can't open the page 192.168.1.1 because the server where this page is located isn't responding'

all green lights on router still on :s
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Assuming this is your router, it looks like 192.168.1.254 is the management page, so give that a shot. If you haven't change the username/pw already, it supposed to be Administrator and no password..

Once you hopefully get in, poke around and see if you can get to the status page showing what the router is getting the DSL box..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
TheDiceMan

The same 'the server where this page is located isn't responding' message

would this indicate a temporary fault at ghe ISPs end?

Additionally, in network, it seems I have a 'self assigned ip and will not be able to connect to the internet'
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Ahh..OK..try this, set your Mac to an IP address of 192.168.1.50 and then attempt to contact the router at 192.168.1.254..

A quick explanation of what's going on here..the DSL box is your conduit to the ISP, your router will be the device that talks to your ISP through the DSL box and should get an IP address that's internet (world) accessible and this is given out by the ISP..

The router then will hand out internal (Class-C) IP addresses to any device downstream (in your case, the XBOX and Mac) and these can be 192.168.x, or 10.0.x, and so on. These are not world accessible, but basically the router will take a request from an machine with the internal IP address, and send it out to the Internet using the ISP-given external IP address, once the response comes back in it will send it back to the internal IP address that made the request..

So what I'm having you do is to confirm that you got your external IP address from the ISP and this is something they can help you with if you aren't getting the address. If you're getting the address, but your router is misbehaving, unless they gave you the router they're not obligated to help you, so you'll have to work with us on the forums on that..and eventually anything Mac-specific..though since the XBOX is having issues, my guess is that your router may have gone kaput..

Regards

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
TheDiceMan

Thanks, I set the macs ip and tried to log onto the router, but again, received the unresonsive server message

I'm going to ring ISP now try and get them to replace the router

incidently, if I were to buy an airport express, despite it being brand new - would it still present these problems? Do they need to be cleared up at the ISP end or a straight simple replacement would suffice?

EDIT: Fobbed off by ISP "tried to renew the ip" by ipconfig etc

They say it's the laptop, bollocks it is though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File Sharing ? | Laptop email problems with new router »